Is there a way (add-in?) to sync…? RRS feed

• Question

• …local client media folders such as photos, music and videos to the server media folders on WHS?

Example, I rip Pearl Jam locally into my music folder, is there way it would automatically add this album the WHS music folder?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:22 PM

Answers

• You automate SyncToy by using Scheduled Tasks that comes in Windows products (XP, Vista, Server 2003, etc.).  Most of my scheduled tasks that move data from the client to WHS are set to trigger when my workstation is Idle, a choice offered by Scheduled Tasks when scheduling the SyncToy event in question.  Works well this way for me but will depend on the size and number of files you are moving or copying.  If you are moving large files or a great number of small files you might be better off scheduling the SyncToy job to run nightly at midnight, for instance.  Experimentaiton will tell you what is best.

Sorry I have not used Groove.  I have a copy but have never looked into its use. So much software, so little time

Regards,

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:50 PM

All replies

• Download page for SyncToy:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

Try this free Microsoft software.  I think you will be happy with it. I use it successfully to move files to WHS multiple times per day.

Regards,

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Great little program Smile

Is there a way to automate it? so sync happens without user intervention?

What is groove? would that work?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:44 PM
  • You automate SyncToy by using Scheduled Tasks that comes in Windows products (XP, Vista, Server 2003, etc.).  Most of my scheduled tasks that move data from the client to WHS are set to trigger when my workstation is Idle, a choice offered by Scheduled Tasks when scheduling the SyncToy event in question.  Works well this way for me but will depend on the size and number of files you are moving or copying.  If you are moving large files or a great number of small files you might be better off scheduling the SyncToy job to run nightly at midnight, for instance.  Experimentaiton will tell you what is best.

Sorry I have not used Groove.  I have a copy but have never looked into its use. So much software, so little time

Regards,

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:50 PM