none
Jumbo Frames? Is it something I need\should enable. If so how?

Question

• According to Vista when transferring files I was only getting about 4MBytes\sec. So I picked up a DLink 5 port gigabit switch to replace my 16 port 10/100 switch. Now I am getting between 16 - 17 Mbytes. Way better but not quite up to what other people are reporting. I saw one thread where he is getting 45+ MBytes.

All my drives are 7200 and about a year old.

My system drive is 160G, and I have 2 IDE 400G drives and 1 Sata 750Gig drive setup in the D:\ array.

Most of the data I use frequently is either large MPEG or DVD Video files. So I was wondering If I should figure out how to use Jumbo Frames.

I do have a mixed network of 100Mb machines if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:17 PM

Answers

• fyi, for jumbo frames to work right you need -
    to turn it on at the switch and all of the nics (its in the adv. settings for nic driver in windows)
    A lot of nics don't support it. You need a managed switch at least layer 2.
    Running a 100mb or mix 100/1000 will cause unpredictable results.
    it should be a clean 1gb / 10gb environment with everybody on the same note or you will either autonegotiate away the settings or get frame size mismatches. (Autonegotiate always selects the smallest size available for compatability aka 1500)

the "payload" / MTU must be set the same and the the right frame size should be set

most adapters/switches support 9000 MTU, other than that, - who knows? There isn't really a standard.
    the frame size should be +22 bytes from the MTU in windows and the switch frame size should be +8 bytes on top of that. (linux values are different.)

you might want spanning tree portfast and flow control enable

needless to say usually this is an independant lan running iSCSI or NFS, for most normal configurations you will mainly just be buying yourself headaches. If you have TOE, then you won't actaully save cpu cycles either.

"My system drive is 160G, and I have 2 IDE 400G drives and 1 Sata 750Gig drive setup in the D:\ array."

Mixing IDE and SATA in the same array is not recommended.

Disk performance is not effected by the nic frame size. 

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the Jumbo Frames issue, that your all PC's network (NIC) card should support it, as well the switch, in same setting, in simple world, either all or it will not work.

Regarding the Vista matters, I do not  think that JF will help di d you try this:

1 - Open a command prompt with administrator rights.

2 - Form command prompt apply this command: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

3 - Restart the system.

My best.

Update: I correct the commend.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:45 PM
  • I ran the cmd and got an OK. What is the default setting? And do you know what this does?

Thanks for the response. As soon as it reboots I'll do a transfer.

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Sorry, the command should be this:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

My best.

Update: (sorry the firefox give me alots of problem in this forum).

THe normal setting as "normal" in that command, as vista try to tune your setting, and many time these report speed issue problem, so disable it give many speed post over the wan/lan.

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:14 PM
  • From Gigabit connected server to Gigabit client I am getting 5.14 MB/sec. and 20+ MB/sec up to the server. So it looks like it improved on the up. I don't have any number prior to the change for the down.

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

Did you correct the command as I edit my post alreay?

Also, this topic mark as answer, did you find the solution or fix about the problem?

My best.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 4:35 PM
  • I had marked it as an answer because my client to server speeds went up. Who knows maybe the last time I got my speeds the server was balancing.

1st test = (Fresh boot\Disabled)

7+ MB down on a 3GB movie and back down to 10.5 up.

2nd test (No Reboot\Disabled)

13+down and much higher network utilization but still only 10+ up

I'll flip the command back to normal and see if it gets better again.

1st test (Fresh reboot\Normal)

15+ MB down 10+ up

2nd test

14+ down , 10 up.

Looks like either way it is about the same. But atleast it is twice as fast than when i was on 100.

Next purchase is Cat6 cabling, patch panel and jacks.

Then a beefier server to see if that helps. I'll be going from a 2.0 P4 400FSB with 512 of SDRAM to a 2.8 533 FSB with a gig of DDR.

Friday, August 17, 2007 6:47 PM
  • fyi, for jumbo frames to work right you need -
    to turn it on at the switch and all of the nics (its in the adv. settings for nic driver in windows)
    A lot of nics don't support it. You need a managed switch at least layer 2.
    Running a 100mb or mix 100/1000 will cause unpredictable results.
    it should be a clean 1gb / 10gb environment with everybody on the same note or you will either autonegotiate away the settings or get frame size mismatches. (Autonegotiate always selects the smallest size available for compatability aka 1500)

the "payload" / MTU must be set the same and the the right frame size should be set

most adapters/switches support 9000 MTU, other than that, - who knows? There isn't really a standard.
    the frame size should be +22 bytes from the MTU in windows and the switch frame size should be +8 bytes on top of that. (linux values are different.)

you might want spanning tree portfast and flow control enable

needless to say usually this is an independant lan running iSCSI or NFS, for most normal configurations you will mainly just be buying yourself headaches. If you have TOE, then you won't actaully save cpu cycles either.

"My system drive is 160G, and I have 2 IDE 400G drives and 1 Sata 750Gig drive setup in the D:\ array."

Mixing IDE and SATA in the same array is not recommended.

Disk performance is not effected by the nic frame size. 

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:05 AM