Installation error 80072F8F - SOLVED - update root certificates

Question

• Background: Have been using Mesh successfully for several months on my work laptop (Dell M4300 running Vista). A week or so ago, it stopped connecting. I thought something might have been messed up, so I attempted a repair installation, which fubar'd everything. I then uninstalled Mesh, removed the device from the Mesh network, redownloaded LiveMesh.exe and have been attempting to reinstall the application.

The installation program pops up a window in the bottom right that says "Installing Live Mesh softare" for about 5 seconds, then changes to "Uninstalling Live Mesh software..." then another window pops up and says "Installer encountered errors. Content decoding has failed. Get more help (Error: 80072F8F)"

I've been searching on this problem for a while and the only hits have been related to the system time, which is correct on my laptop.

Has something changed in a recent update that might have affected the functionality? I can't think of any major upgrades that I have done. Seems like this has been a problem since the last mesh update.
    • Edited by richara Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:51 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:57 PM

Answers

• After a few more hours of investigation I solved the problem. I noticed my Windows Update had also failed and would no longer download new updates. It reported the same error (Error: 80072F8F). This was the clue that the underlying problem was Windows related and not just confined to Mesh. Numerous searches later and I found a suggestion to force Windows to update the root certificates, as this could be masking the problem. Turns out it was correct. Though it does not say it applies to Vista, I followed Method 2 listed here and the problem was solved - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929458. I had also tried Method 4 before I tried Method 2, but it did not solve the problem.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• I don't know if this is related to an update or is being caused by some other issue. I suggest submitting a bug report with Live Mesh logs. How to submit a bug report - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:20 PM
  • After a few more hours of investigation I solved the problem. I noticed my Windows Update had also failed and would no longer download new updates. It reported the same error (Error: 80072F8F). This was the clue that the underlying problem was Windows related and not just confined to Mesh. Numerous searches later and I found a suggestion to force Windows to update the root certificates, as this could be masking the problem. Turns out it was correct. Though it does not say it applies to Vista, I followed Method 2 listed here and the problem was solved - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929458. I had also tried Method 4 before I tried Method 2, but it did not solve the problem.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Glad to hear you resolved the issue and thanks for posting your solution.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:54 PM