none
How to start with .NET Web Development??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello fine people.  I graduated from college about a year ago.  Have held a couple of positions where I worked as a web engineer of sorts.  I know HTML5, CSS3, Javascript/jQuery, a bit of PhP.  I've built some pretty large desktop apps with C# and VS in the past.  But I'm noticing that 80% of all web jobs want .NET experience, either with ASP.NET or C# or VB.  

Obviously I can't learn all of these really quickly but I wondered what people's experience with all three was, what they think the most sought after of the three was, which was the most useful, easy to use and all those other questions you already know I'm going to ask.

I finished up with my last contract and have some time while I'm finding another so I'd like to add this skill set to my bag of tricks.  Additionally do you need to have a 'special' server in order to run .NET apps?  I already have one but may need to upgrade.  

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I really appreciate it.

Verb001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:52 PM

Answers

• I agree with you, I am seeing more demand for web applications than for desktop applications. As a first step, I suggest that you navigate to www.asp.net and follow the tutorials there in order to learn or improve your skills on asp.net. I recommend that you concentrate on MVC rather than WebForms, since the former seems to be in more demand lately, especially for new, large projects.

As to your question about the server: it needs to have IIS and the .Net Framework, so if you are currently running Apache on Linux it will not serve you for running your asp.net applications. But if your server runs Windows and you are alowed to configure it, then you should be fine. BTW, you don't need a server for development; Visual Studio contains an internal web server that will let you run and debug your applications without deploying them to a "real" server.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:26 AM