WHS Cannot back-up a Vista Home Premium 64 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a network with a WHS, a computer running Vista Business 32, a computer runnning Vista Home Premium 32 and a computer running Windows Home Premium 64. The first 2 run automated backups without a problem. The third hangs after when 17% complete. The hang locks the maching requiring a power cycle to recover. The machine does not hang under any other conditions.

I exampined all of the event logs on the 64 bit machine and no errors are listed.

I uninstalled and re-installed the WHS connector. Same Problem.

I downloaded and installed the WHS Toolkit. It reported that the version of connector does not match the version of WHS and told me to remove and re-install it from the server. I did that. Same problem.

I next removed the connector again and tried to install the x64 version directly. It told me that I had to use set-up. I used set-up and the same problem exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not really sure what else to try at this point.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:29 PM

Answers

• Please try running chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator) on all partitions of the client. If it ask you to run at next boot answer Y. Please note that chkdsk may take some time to run, especially if there are errors to fix.

If you watch the backup status (WHS tray icon on client, View Backup Status) you can tell which partition it's working on when the client locks up and what stage of backup is running (determine which clusters have changed, sending data to server and so on)

IF chkdsk doesn't fix  it please post some more details on the client, number of disks / partitions, size of partitions). Also you may find more details on the error in the latest backup log in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on your home server.
    • Marked as answer by glenrswanson Friday, March 29, 2013 5:11 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:13 PM