Retrospective filtering of data to be synchronised RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where I need to be able to filter data between an SQL2005 server and SQL/CE on a mobile device. Whilst this in itself sound easy enough, the question I have is about how to apply restrospective filtering during synchronisation.

The scenario is as follows...

A user is allocated responsibility for a number of accounts. Each account may have activity and that activity is synchronised to the mobile device - in most cases, this information is merely downloaded but occasionally a user may add activity to an account. So far, so good.

The problem comes when the user is allocated a new account, or an account is allocated to a different user. In this scenario, I need to be able to pick up all existing data for the new account for example, or identify existing data to delete the account details on the device. This is all when the device has alredy been synchronised so the anchor values will most likely be set to values representing "after" the relevant data was added or updated on the server.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how this might be acheived? The only thing that I can think of at the moment is to identify when account changes are made and then force a fresh download of the data rather than applying changes but not only does this feel wrong, the users will almost certainly be connected via GPRS/3G and therefore I need to minimize the amount of data being transmitted.

I hope my question and scenario are clear. If anybody feels that they could provide advice but need more information to do so, please do not hesitate to ask.

Martin.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:18 PM