Back up causing Lock up RRS feed

• Question

• Home server has developed a problem in the past few months (prior to PP2 install but continued post install).

If I leave automatic back ups enabled the machine locks up (doesn't crash with any notification).  I left the RDP connection up last night to see what the screen says.  The time was stuck at 1:30 AM, when I tried to access the desktop, then I got the remote connection has been lost message (this was at 6:30).  Utorrent had died (I have the Vista side bar installed and it showed no connection).  Only recourse was to reboot the server.

If I disable autoback ups (presently only backing up one machine which is Vista Home Premium), then the server has been rock solid.

If I manually back up the Vista machine, it completes perfectly.

I have run chkdsk on both the Vista Machine and the Server, all comes back ok

I have tried something I found here in the server to do with removing the hidden devices and letting them re install. No effect.

I am only backing up Drive C of the Vista machine.

Any thoughts of what else to try?

Thanks
    Shawn
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:24 PM

Answers

• Home server has developed a problem in the past few months (prior to PP2 install but continued post install).

If I leave automatic back ups enabled the machine locks up (doesn't crash with any notification).  I left the RDP connection up last night to see what the screen says.  The time was stuck at 1:30 AM, when I tried to access the desktop, then I got the remote connection has been lost message (this was at 6:30).  Utorrent had died (I have the Vista side bar installed and it showed no connection).  Only recourse was to reboot the server.

If I disable autoback ups (presently only backing up one machine which is Vista Home Premium), then the server has been rock solid.

I have tried something I found here in the server to do with removing the hidden devices and letting them re install. No effect.

Thanks
    Shawn
    Do you have any other PCs you could try backing up automatically?  If not, you might want to file a bug report on Connect.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:23 AM

All replies

Thanks
    Shawn
    Do you have any other PCs you could try backing up automatically?  If not, you might want to file a bug report on Connect.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I will leave my netbook on for the evening and see what happens. 
    Shawn
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:24 AM