"This copy of windows vista is not genuine" on 2 pcs.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I bought a laptop with windows vista (legit) pre installed and it also came with a installation cd.

I later bought a desktop pc and decided to try install vista on that  just on a whim not realising that I was doing anything wrong.

A while later I started getting messages on my laptop that my activation key was invalid and now it has gone to the non genuine state and I cant access my desktop and can only use the browser.

My pc has also started sending me activation reminders now so that may go the same way.

All I want to do is get back to where I can have a working copy of vista solely on my laptop as it is a legal copy and another operating sytem on the desktop but the menus on the laptop don't give me that option.

HELP!

Terry
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:24 PM

Answers

• After removing Windows Vista from your desktop by reformatting the hard drive, follow this procedure on your laptop:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

When you see the Activation window, click on "Show me other ways to activate" and then activate by phone.

The reason you had this issue is because you used your notebook's Windows Vista license on your desktop.  If you wish to install Windows Vista on your desktop, you'll need to purchase a separate edition of Windows Vista.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• After removing Windows Vista from your desktop by reformatting the hard drive, follow this procedure on your laptop:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

When you see the Activation window, click on "Show me other ways to activate" and then activate by phone.

The reason you had this issue is because you used your notebook's Windows Vista license on your desktop.  If you wish to install Windows Vista on your desktop, you'll need to purchase a separate edition of Windows Vista.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:38 PM
  • hi,
    I have now reformatted the desktop pc so that is no longer an issue.

I was following your instruction to recover my laptop but came unstuck when it came to the 'run as administrator' bit.

When I try to right click 'cmd.exe' i dont get the option to run as administrator and the screen looks more like a dos screen
    with a long list of filenames so consequently the 'slmgr -rearm' command fails.

The problem could be that I use firefox as my default browser but I am not sure.

Any further help appreciated.

Terry
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:23 PM
  • hi,

I have now managed to get internet explorer going and the 'run as administator' looks just as it does in your screenshots.

However it now says 'there is not enough quota for this command' when I try to activate cmd.exe

Terry

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Hi,
    I have finally got it activated using the phone.

No reply necessary..thanks Carey

Terry
    Friday, March 14, 2008 12:28 AM