Shared Folders Suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I have been using WHS for about a month now and I find something really annoying about the shared folders everytime I access them.

The fact that annoys me so much about the Shared Folders is that everytime I double click on any of the shared forlders instead of taking me directly to the properties, it should just open up the folder and show the content that is in the folder.

Why should I right click and than hit browse to see what the folder has or click on the folder then browse on the toolbar. I should right click on the folder if i want to go see the properties of the folder not if I want to browse it.

What do you guys think? Yes.... No..... are you annoyed at this too or can you live with it.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:18 PM

Answers

• Okay, honestly I don't think I'd thought to try clicking on the folders in the Admin console, but I see what you mean.  It brings up the properties by default, where you would like it to bring up the folder contents.  Have you thought of putting it as a suggestion in connect and then posting the link here so people can vote on it?
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:08 AM
  • You should submit this as a suggestion on Connect, of course after checking to see if there's already an applicable suggestion to vote on.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:09 AM

All replies

• Where are you seeing this behavior?  When I click on the shared folders (either from the desktop shortcut, right-clicking from the tray icon, or navigating to \\server) I always get the individual folders and then their contents.  If you are seeing the properties instead, this sounds like a bug and you should report it in connect (connect.microsoft.com) under feedback.

Also, are you seeing this behavior on every single PC connected, or just one PC?

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:38 PM
  •  BlaineMVP wrote:

Where are you seeing this behavior?  When I click on the shared folders (either from the desktop shortcut, right-clicking from the tray icon, or navigating to \\server) I always get the individual folders and then their contents.  If you are seeing the properties instead, this sounds like a bug and you should report it in connect (connect.microsoft.com) under feedback.

Also, are you seeing this behavior on every single PC connected, or just one PC?

I suspect the op is talking about the console, I noticed this behaviour, but accepted it as the console is an admin tool rather than a'user' interface.

Gordon

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Yes exactly....

As Gordon wisely pointed out I am talking about the console. I also see the console as an admin tool as well as a user interface tool because I would rather use the console to link all the shared content from computer to computer rather than enabling the shared folder options. Hence why I suggested what I did and even if you use it only as an admin tool, you have to admit it is just easier to just double click on the shared folders to display your content to quickly check what your users are putting on the server then right clicking on the folder and then going to browse.

So whether you would used it as a Admin tool or a user interface it would be just easier if you just double click on the Shared Folder in the Console to display the content that is stored in the folder.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Okay, honestly I don't think I'd thought to try clicking on the folders in the Admin console, but I see what you mean.  It brings up the properties by default, where you would like it to bring up the folder contents.  Have you thought of putting it as a suggestion in connect and then posting the link here so people can vote on it?
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:08 AM
  • You should submit this as a suggestion on Connect, of course after checking to see if there's already an applicable suggestion to vote on.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:09 AM
  • Yes I was thinking of doing that but I wanted to see what other people thought of it first. But guess I'll go ahead and do it anyway. I thank Ken Warren providing me with a link where I can post it up on connect and I will sure check first to see if anybody has already submitted an application for this suggestion.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Ok I have submitted on Connect how I would like the contents of the Shared Folders in the Admin Console of WHS to be accessed.

If you would like to vote on it here is a link:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=266072

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I totally agree with you. Because this feature is still not implemented in RC1, I send the same suggestion to the beta team again. It is really not clever to set it to access folder property in the first place.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Well it IS the "admin console," not the "user console" so it's not BAD to have it bring up properties but having it bring up the shared folders isn't bad either.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:36 AM