crm lookup implementation question? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I've seen CRM lookups where a user can select different record types from a dropdown, then submit search criteria and get a result set for selection.  This is all done within the context of a lookup dialog.

I'm on a project where we have a scenario where a field can either be a user or a contact.  A lookup dialog can be opened where a user can select a type of user or contact, perform a search and then select rows from the result set.

A user should be able to select multiple records of users, contacts or a combination of both record types for this particular field. An easy approach would be to create 2 separate lookup fields on the parent form like:

* MyField (Contacts)
    * MyField (Users)

However, I was wondering if CRM provides an easy way to combine this functionality within a single dialog, perhaps by including a "Type" column as part of the result set, which would indicate the different types of records that had been selected?
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately it's not possible to create this kind of lookup using the out-of-the-box customization tools.

There are some unsupported ways to do this using JavaScript, however if you want to do it in a supported way your best option is to simply create 2 many-to-many relationships; 1 with user and 1 with contact. Those can then be displayed on your form in sub-grids still allowing you to select a combination of many contacts and many users.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:58 AM