Validation failed 0x80180108 Office Professional 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I receive: "validation failed 0x80180108 This product key used to install Office is not valid. It has been identified by Microsoft as a false key used with counterfit copies of Office." This is Office Professional 2003. The same thing happens with Project Standard 2003, but Win XP, Visio, and OneNote validate ok.

This is a valid install that worked fine for several years and validation failed when Dell replaced the motherboard again. I have the original Open License media from CDW and got the install key again from Microsoft, which matched the original install key I used. I tried uninstall and reinstall but validation still fails. There is no activation with this key, according to the Open license website. I am running Win XP SP2 which validates ok. How do I get Office and Project to pass validation again? Help!

-  Leland

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:29 PM

Answers

• Leland:

Did you reinstall anything or only simply change the motherboard when there was an issue? It could have caused some data corruption somewhere (possible, but hard to really pinpoint).

What we can try is to revalidate from fresh by deleting the cached temporary files manually:

1.     Log on to the computer that is experiencing the problem by using an account that has administrator credentials.

2.     Delete the Data.date file from the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\ data folder.

3.     Visit the following Microsoft web site to confirm that the computer revalidates:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

What happens?

-phil

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:06 AM
  • Phil,

You are a genius; it worked perfectly. Yes, I installed some software upgrades or critical fixes about the same time as the motherboard switch. Perhaps that caused the problem.

I greatly appreciate your prompt and effective help. I hope Microsoft compensates you appropriately.

Cheers!

-  Leland, a happy camper

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:16 AM

All replies

• Leland:

Did you reinstall anything or only simply change the motherboard when there was an issue? It could have caused some data corruption somewhere (possible, but hard to really pinpoint).

What we can try is to revalidate from fresh by deleting the cached temporary files manually:

1.     Log on to the computer that is experiencing the problem by using an account that has administrator credentials.

2.     Delete the Data.date file from the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\ data folder.

3.     Visit the following Microsoft web site to confirm that the computer revalidates:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

What happens?

-phil

Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:06 AM
  • Phil,

You are a genius; it worked perfectly. Yes, I installed some software upgrades or critical fixes about the same time as the motherboard switch. Perhaps that caused the problem.

I greatly appreciate your prompt and effective help. I hope Microsoft compensates you appropriately.

Cheers!

-  Leland, a happy camper

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:16 AM