custom external leds - Home Server Health RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I want to build a little box of sorts that contains three leds that represent the color status of the home server.

I know how to get the status from using the api my issue is the led's etc.

The question,

Does anyone know where i can find a usb\serial type interface card that i can program against which will allow me to turn on and off up to 3 leds\lights

Hope someone can help, this would be cool!

Cheers

Richard

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do a search on Google for "led-wiz" or "usb led controller" and you'll find lots of options.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Hey,

cool cheers for the link, i am going to get this one

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=306

It can control leds and have up to 16 control inputs like buttons etc,

So i am going to work on getting the led's to reflect the health of the home server, now i have buttons to play with...initial thoughts  that the buttons could control are.

• Shutdown - will allow you to shout down any processes you may have running (if they need to be stopped or saved etc before the server is turned off.
    • Start a backup of all monitored pc's - could also use a light to reflect , all success, one failed (warning \ error) as user feed back

would like to know if anyone else has any good ideas of features that we\I could add\use from an external button instead of using the gui???

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:41 PM