configure wifi on OneCare computer to existing secured wifi network RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop with OneCare installed that I'm trying to connect to an existing secured wireless network.  The wifi adapter is enabled, but never sees the network even when it is broadcasting.  Other wireless computers without OneCare see it fine.  Manually creating the wireless connection in the Control Panel has no effect.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just for diagnosis, try disabling the OneCare firewall.

OneCare should not be blocking the wireless adapter in any case. You may have a problem with the adpater or driver in that laptop. If it were OneCare, I'd expect it to see the access point, but fail to connect due to a firewall issue. Not seeing the SSID suggests that it isn't a OneCare problem.

Can you connect wirelessly to other access points? Can you connect using a wired connection?

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Haven't had the opportunity to try another access point.  Wired connections work fine.  I'll try disabling OneCare firewall.  Also, I have an external USB wifi adapter I'm going to try.  Is their any configuration in OneCare for networking?  I saw one place that listed the network connections, but couldn't really see anyway to change them.  Thx!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:45 PM
  • From a network/firewall perspective the only configuration you normally need to deal with is to identify the connection as Home or Work vs. Public. OneCare doesn't manage the connections, but it adjusts the firewall according to the "type" you choose. A new network connection is typically Public until you say otherwise. This has no bearing on your ability to "see" the access point, though.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:50 PM
  • I replaced the wireless adapter and that fixed the problem.  Thanks for you help.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:42 PM
  • You're very welcome. I'm glad that you were able to resolve the problem.
    -steve
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:48 PM