locked
couple of questions regarding the evaluation copy RRS feed

  • Question

  • hello there
    i just received  my copy of the windows home server 120 days evaluation copy

    but i am a new user to the home server world so please excuse me if my questions sounds too noobish

    1- is the evaluation copy the WHM 2003 or 2008 ?
    because after looking into a lot of tutorials i am still puzzled about it

    2- my future home server is going to contain 23 hard drive
    but i understand that WHS merges all of them and i will only see 1

    my problem is i need at least one of those 23 hard drives to be free so i can move my data from the server to my other workstations

    so can i have 1 of the HD as a separate HD ??
    i mean when i move the files i move them into this single HD



    well thats my main 2 concerns
    i am going to install my copy as soon as i get my new RAID cards


    thanks in advanced

    regards
    ahmed
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

  • Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    hello there
    i just received  my copy of the windows home server 120 days evaluation copy

    but i am a new user to the home server world so please excuse me if my questions sounds too noobish

    1- is the evaluation copy the WHM 2003 or 2008 ?
    because after looking into a lot of tutorials i am still puzzled about it

    There is only one version and it's called Windows Home Server.

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    2- my future home server is going to contain 23 hard drive
    but i understand that WHS merges all of them and i will only see 1

    Correct.

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    my problem is i need at least one of those 23 hard drives to be free so i can move my data from the server to my other workstations

    so can i have 1 of the HD as a separate HD ??

    You can keep one of the drives out of the storage pool.  However, in order to copy data from the storage pool to a drive that is connected to the server, but not part of the storage pool, you would need to logon to the server desktop, which is unsupported (due to the way WHS handles files).  You would be better off transferring files from your server to your workstations through the network (the only supported method).

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    i mean when i move the files i move them into this single HD

    well thats my main 2 concerns
    i am going to install my copy as soon as i get my new RAID cards

    FYI, RAID is not supported on WHS.

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    thanks in advanced

    regards
    ahmed



    Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:28 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks alot kariya

    i am going to do the actual installation tomorrow so will be giving you guys more quistions as soon as i am finished :)

    just i thing
    there should be only the system HD connected while installation right ? and does the server have to format the drive before adding it to the pool or can i just add it with all of it files

    thanks again

    regards
    ahmed
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    thanks alot kariya

    i am going to do the actual installation tomorrow so will be giving you guys more quistions as soon as i am finished :)

    just i thing
    there should be only the system HD connected while installation right ?
     

    Actually, if you have an idea of the final hard drive configuration you are looking for, i would attach all of them before you install.  The reason being it will install on what it thinks is drive 0.  However, if you install with only a single drive attached and it's not drive 0 as far as the mobo is concerned, it will make a Server Reinstallation (if it ever becomes necessary) more troubleseome (since it will no longer be drive 0 if you added a drive in the drive 0 slot).  Just be aware that during the installation, it will automatically format all drives.  Also, it would be good to do it that way to make sure you have all of the correct drivers from the beginning for all of your hard drives and be familiar with the procedure of adding drivers manually (again, in case you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation).

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    and does the server have to format the drive before adding it to the pool or can i just add it with all of it files

    It must format the drive.

    Ahmed Alrasheed said:

    thanks again

    regards
    ahmed



    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:14 PM
    Moderator
  • man i am hesitated to do this

    ok just to get all doubts out of my head

    - when adding a file to the pool , will the file be separate it between the harddrives ?
    i mean if i opened a harddrive on it own after taking it out of the pool what will be in it ?
    files or fragments of files ?

    - can i have media center on it ?

    - can i install normal apps on the device ( like clonecd or any other vista and xp capable program )

    i am going to use this as a Storage device primary and as a streaming device for the future

    so sorry for asking so many questions but i got a 5 terabyte  database
    and frankly i am afraid to make the move and ending up in losing my data

    the last and most important question
    is it actually getting updated and devolved constantly or did they make it and forget all about it



    kariya
    thanks again you been  a Huge source of help :D
    Monday, December 1, 2008 11:11 PM
  • Please look over the documentation you'll find on the Windows Home Server support page. I think you'll find that it will answer some of your questions.

    Some of the questions it won't answer, or at least not directly:
    • No you can't install Media Center on your home server. Your home server is based on Windows Server 2003.
    • You can install "normal apps" but your home server is not designed for use as a desktop operating system, so such use is unsupported and not recommended.
    Windows Home Server was most recently updated just a couple of weeks ago. Regular updates are being released, and future versions of the product are in early planning stages.

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:19 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks ken

    i read it all
    i am going to install it tonight

    but i couldn't find the answer for the most important question
    are the files being separate it when added to the pool ?!?

    i mean all my hard drives are swappable
    what if i took 1 hard drive out and accessed it through another pc
    wil the info on it be full and functional

    or will it partial files only
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Any files in a share can be accessed on any computer that can read an NTFS formatted disk. Files in your shares will be in a hidden folder: x:\DE\Shares.etc. You will typically not find every file on every disk; WHS uses an internal algorithm to determine what disk to use for a file and makes (at most) two copies of each file.

    Files backed up from client PCs are not accessable using tools other than the Windows Home Server Backup & Restore feature.

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:59 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks ken for the answer

    i am not interested in backing up any folders
    just in storing them

    so removing a hard drive with files stored ( not backed up ) in it will allow me to read them

    was just reading around and

    hello there
    i just received  my copy of the windows home server 120 days evaluation copy

    but i am a new user to the home server world so please excuse me if my questions sounds too noobish

    1- is the evaluation copy the WHM 2003 or 2008 ?
    because after looking into a lot of tutorials i am still puzzled about it

    There is only one version and it's called Windows Home Server.


    i just read that WHS 2008 is based on windows vista
    and i am downloading it right now form MS http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/default.aspx

    so judging from the principle i should be able to use MCE in it right ?
    but what about the connector software will it work there as well ?


    man i must be a pain in the ** :P

    forgive me just learning

    regards
    ahmed
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Ahmed Alrasheed said:
    i just read that WHS 2008 is based on windows vista
    and i am downloading it right now form MS http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/default.aspx

    so judging from the principle i should be able to use MCE in it right ?
    but what about the connector software will it work there as well ?
    regards
    ahmed


    No, Windows Server 2008 shares the same code base (note: this is different from "based off of") as Windows Vista.
    Windows Home Server, however, is built off of Windows Server 2003 (which shares some of the same code base as Windows XP.)
    What WHS does share with Vista is the OS preinstall enviroment (WinPE)
    As Ken said, there's no such thing as "WHS 2008."  Judging by that link, you perhaps mis-spoke, and meant Windows Server 2008?
    Ahmed Alrasheed said:
    so judging from the principle i should be able to use MCE in it right ?
    but what about the connector software will it work there as well ?


    No, you cannot install Media Center on WHS (or on Server 2003, or on Server 2008.)  Media Center is a core component of Vista (and, formerly, XP Media Center Edition 2005, et. al.)  Server 2003 (and 2008, as well) lacks in a good many of the background features & services that the Media Center services rely on.

    As for if the Connector will install on Server 2008, I don't know.  I'm not sure that anyone has tried it yet. 

    HTH,
    Chris


    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:33 AM