none
open files are copied with 0 bytes RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I am using SyncToy for the first time and I come across the following problem: if you sync open files (for example outlook files while outlook is open) they are copied to the target folder, but the size of the file is 0 bytes. No error mentioned in the log and Synctoy give you the impression everything went ok. If I copy these files with Xcopy i get an error and files are not overwritten, why is this not the same with SyncToy?

I hope somebody can help me?

Cheers,
    Frank
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:53 AM

All replies

• Nobody?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:53 AM
  •  

Hi,

no outlook files on my private machine.I have achieved the following test:

1. create a Office word file named a.docx in the left folder and write some contents in it like "ABC" in it then save it.

2. preview the folder pair and edit a.docx add "ABC" in the second line , do not save it and sync it. then the right folder only get the contents before edited.

3. do the same thing as item 2 do, but save the contents before sync. then a error will come out. For sync toy detected that file have been changed.

so SyncToy will sync data based on the preview results. If any changes after preview , error will come up when sync.

if do the preview when file size is 0 or like if the outlook file is size 0, then changed it but donot saved, both will cause the thing you met.

I donot know whether this will help.

Thanks,

Baoke

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:06 PM