Windows Vista to Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to fix a friends comp, I want to install XP on a laptop that HAD Vista.

Background story: I like to work on computers on the side to help out friends that are in need to save them a couple of dollars. Well My friends son has a Compaq Presario F500 Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. Well the son likes to play online games. He went to a website www.byond.com to download something so that he could play on line. From what he told me is that he tried to download it and it wasn't compatable to Vista. He didn't remember what he did after that, but the end result was the "blue screen of death". So the father asked if I could fix it and instead of fixing Vista the son wanted XP on the comp b/c the game was compatable with XP. So me being me, I said, "No prob, I can erase Vista and install XP and you'll be good to go. Well I erased Vista with no prob, and I formatted the Hard drive. I proceeded to install XP and it made it about 57% through the initial installation, and then it said that shell32.dll could not be installed( Not exactly sure of the specific file name), so I tried to reload it and then eventually skipped that file to proceed with the rest of the install. Well I found my self skipping about 30 files before it finally finished. Of course windows didn't load right. So I wiped the disk again and tried again. Well I've been doing this for about 2 days working on # 3. LOL I've never ran into this problem, I know for a fact that my copy of windows is good, b/c I installed it on another comp about 2 months ago. Can anyone out there help me out,  Thanks.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

• In the course of installing Windows XP, if you receive error messages that installation files cannot be copied, the usual problem lies with the Windows XP CD itself.  It may be scratched or dirty or even defective.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:33 PM