Upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 - Questions regarding the 70-521 / 70-523 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I checked http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2 and I have some trouble understanding it completly.

1) There is no longer a MCPD Enterprise Application Developer. Or does anyone knows if that will come later, too?

2) I am thinking of my current certification plan:

One way could be: Continue towards the MCPD Enterprise Developer 3.5 and then get 70-518 and 70-519 to upgrade it. (These 2 exams are the required exams or did I miss anything else?)

The other possible way is: Doing the MCPD Windows Developer 3.5 (Just the PRO exam missing for that) and then
    - 70-521 -> That would grant me the MCPD WIndows Developer + 3 MCTS (that are given in the table there uner Certification goals)?
    - doing 70-515 & 70-519 to get the 2nd available MCPD Title (Or maybe get the MCPD ASP.Net 3.5 + upgrade but that is 1 exam more. But if no training material is available, that could also be possible ...)

Did I understand that correctly? Or did I miss anything and more exams would be required?

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:18 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• Thank you very much Andrey.

Just as information: I just got the information, that the training company would also interpret the information from microsoft in the same way as I did. So I will try tp take these steps now:
    - 70-563
    - 70-521
    - 70-515
    - 70-519

Thank you all for your input to my questions.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 9, 2010 11:04 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• What certificates at you now?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Hi Andrey,

so far I only did:

- 70-536
    - 70-433 (That was just a quick SQL training for me. I found that I simply missed to much so I trained myself in this topic and I used the exam as some kind of "verfication" that I learned something.)
    - 70-505

My original plan was to go the long way till MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5 (So on my list was so far: 70-562, 70-561, 70-503 and at the end 70-565)

My company offered to pay for some vouchers but it is a very large company and it took quite long so in between, Visual Studio 2010 was released ... together with new exams ... and with a new strategy!

So if I continue my current way, I would do the 70-521 and 70-523 to get my certifications up to date. That would be a total of 6 exams I would have to do and would end in the Titles:
    - MCPD: Windows Developer 4
    - MCPD: Web Developer 4

So now I was thinking of going some other way
    - 70-563 would give me MCPD: Windows Developer 3.5
    - 70-521 would give me MCPD: Windows Developer 4 (+ dependencies of this MCPD title)
    - 70-515 would be a missing prerequisite for the MCPD Web Developer
    - 70-519 would give me the MCPD: Web Developer 4
    ==> only 4 exams.

The second way is less exams (ok, that is not that important in my eyes) but at work we switched to Visual Studio 2010 and it could be nice to do all the training on the newest Version. The only bad thing is, that the new exams do not have any self-paced training kits ready so far. That is really bad, because I simply love them. :) (I got this E-Reference Library but even with all the other books available I sticked to all self-paced training kit books so far and started to play around with the provided examples and expanded them on my own ...)

But I am wondering, if the information is really correct or not. I do not trust the webpage to much. (Sorry, but how should I trust a buggy webpage? In the table about upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 exams, the MCTS certification goals are the same. But I am quite sure, that the Web developer will have the Web Applications instead of the Windows Applications!)

When going to an interview / applying for a job, I am quite sure, that the MCPD Enterprise Developer "from the past" could have some weight, too. But that is not the main reason for all these exams. At the moment I do not plan to switch and I am quite sure, that the experience / projects in the past are more important than an exam (that no longer is up to date).

I send an eMail to the company where I did all my exams so far (and that works together with the company I am working for when we need trainings and so), so I hope to get some information from them, too. But so far I simply sit here wondering if I should switch or not ...

Even if you do not have concrete answeres (I think that really must come from Microsoft / Prometric) I am very interested in your thoughts about the two possible ways I could go ...

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:41 PM
    Answerer
  • I like first way. I have my first exam in 2005 year. Now I have certification MCSD .NET, MCPD: ED, MCPD: ED 3.5. After MCSD .NET I have upgrade exam only.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Thank you for your opinion. I just decided now to take the other way. So I start preparing for my 70-563 now.

The important argument is, that I want to use Visual Studio 2010 whereever possible - even in my exams.

And I didn't get an answer from our training partner so far, so I really hope that I didn't understand anything wrong. As soon as I et an answer, I will post the result here to docment it as soon as I receive any answer.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, August 6, 2010 1:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Good luck!
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Thank you very much Andrey.

Just as information: I just got the information, that the training company would also interpret the information from microsoft in the same way as I did. So I will try tp take these steps now:
    - 70-563
    - 70-521
    - 70-515
    - 70-519

Thank you all for your input to my questions.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 9, 2010 11:04 AM
    Answerer