need directions to get into text-based install mode RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install a retail version of WHS on a server which has been running the evaluation version for several months. I continue to have a problem in that while the install recognizes the smaller (80GB) PATA drive on channel 0, it does not see the larger data drive (750 GB SATA) which is not natively supported by the Intel 865 motherboard (the SATA drive is connected to a SiliconImage 3512A controller card). I have the drivers and .inf file on a floppy which I'd like to try and add at the F6 step, but each time I boot the install routine from the DVD, it immediately goes into the GUI-based mode.

Any advice as to how I force the initiation of the text-based routine?
    • Edited by jsyv2 Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:12 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the rapid reply, Ken; I appreciate the advice and description of the process.
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:11 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• Setup will start in the GUI portion, that's normal and you can't change it. You will have to go through the GUI portion of setup until you get to the hardware detection screen. At that point you'll be able to add storage drivers so that your SATA drives are visible. Then you can continue through until you're asked what kind of installation you want to perform. Assuming all your drives are visible, you should have the option of a server reinstallation. Choose that, then continue.

After the first reboot you'll be in text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. If you needed drivers for your system drive, watch the bottom of the screen carefully for the "Press F6" prompt. Press it as soon as the prompt appears, then supply the appropriate driver on floppy (because text mode setup doesn't normally accept USB flash drives). Setup should continue after supplying your storage drivers. If you didn't need storage drivers for your system drive, you shouldn't have to do anything at the "Press F6" prompt.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for the rapid reply, Ken; I appreciate the advice and description of the process.
    • Marked as answer by jsyv2 Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:11 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:36 PM