none
slmgr.vbs<291, 5> Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object Required: 'g_objWMIService' RRS feed

• Question

•  Please refer to my original question posted yesterday and respond to that.  The subject I posted yesterday was:

Vista won't grant access "Windows Not Genuine" 2 years after it was succcessfully activated

I haven't received a response in about 17 hours and have 3 unanswered replies that I made to the original reply from a moderator to my question.

The original reply was quick but then nothing after that, so I figure these die on the vine after awhile.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:58 PM

Answers

• Stephen,

First I would like for you to try the below steps but if this does not resolve your problem please create a (no cost) support request at the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 

Please review the following Knowledge Base (KB) article and refer to the resolution portion of the webpage:

KB931573 – You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573 

If the above does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Windows Vista may require you to enter a Product Key [use the Certificate of Authenticity (COA)] SLP Product Key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer and activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below.

From the Desktop:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:47 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:46 PM

All replies

•  After several boots between safe and minimal startup service modes VISTA now says that my version of windows is not genuine.

I read several other posts on this forum and all the fixes began with running WGADT.  Unfortunately, I can't even get to a Start button.  Windows gives me 4 options that are all relate to activation. One of the options looked promissing because it offered the ability to enter windows in a reduced feature mode to validate windows. When I select that it pulls up a browser and won't let me access anything else. BTW, I can't access the network when the browser comes up so that's useless to me.

The other option that I tried was to manually rekey my product key. That didn't work either.

Please tell me that I don't have to reinstall windows?

Thanks!
    • Merged by Stephen Holm Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:41 PM Merge
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Stephen 

Would you try the below steps. Also tell me more about the activation steps which you are presented with. Next do you have a Retail version of Vista or is it an OEM installed version? 

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

3) Find the file cmd.exe

5) Type:  cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs -ipk then hit the space bar once then type in the Product Key from the sticker on your computer, then hit the Enter key

6) Reboot

Now please try and run the MGADiag tool and then post the new Diagnostic Report.

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the fast response and sorry for the delay from me. I forgot how long it took for the 4 options to come up so I kept rebooting thinking that it hung.

I am at the point of entering the product key from the command line. Before I enter it can you tell me if I should enter the dashes or just type it without the dashes at the command line referred to in Step 5 from you?

As I recall the options were "Activate Now", "Enter with Reduced Functionality", "Manually Enter Product Key", "Call Microsoft"

My version of Vista is OEM. I purchased it about two years ago from Fry's Electronics at the same time I purchased the motherboard, processor, disks, memory, etc., to build my own system.

Thanks,

Stephen

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Stephen,

I tried it with and without dashes. Either way, when I hit the return key at the CMD line I get the following response:

"Not enough quota is available to process this command."
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Was able to free up some memory and ran the slmgr script again and got the following runtime error:

slmgr.vbs<291, 5> Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object Required: 'g_objWMIService'

Rebooting brings me back to the same non usable state described above.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Stephen,

First I would like for you to try the below steps but if this does not resolve your problem please create a (no cost) support request at the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 

Please review the following Knowledge Base (KB) article and refer to the resolution portion of the webpage:

KB931573 – You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573 

If the above does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

3) Find the file cmd.exe

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Windows Vista may require you to enter a Product Key [use the Certificate of Authenticity (COA)] SLP Product Key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer and activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below.

From the Desktop:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:47 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:46 PM