Locking up/Not responding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'll start from the very beginning to give as much info as I can:-

I had a WHS system running fine on a homebuild using a Hdama G server board that has dual AMD 250 opterons installed and 2GB of DDR400 ECC ram, now this board didnt have SATA onboard so I just ran it using an IDE drive as the OS drive and SATA drives using a PCI-X 8 channel card x2 (various size drives)

Now I bought another smaller rackmount case, that came with the exact same MOBO but it also had the 4x SATA onboard, so I decided to use use 3x2TB HDDs and the IDE drive in my new system (now this board is the EXACT same its a Hdama G but it has the onboard SATA) so I just plugged the IDE drive in, attached the 2TB drives to the onboard SATA and booted to windows.

Now I was getting unexpected lockups/hangs and I replaced the PSU and all seemed fine, BUT the problem seems to have persisted even though it has got slightly better, If I look in the event log there is nothing really in there, so I cant think what else it can be...

Any help? I have checked that I am using the latest drivers for everything, chipset/ethernet/all MS updates. etc

If I leave the server say overnight,and come back I turn on my client and then nothing, the ethernet light is flashing at the same intervals say twice a second and when I connect a monitor to the server and turn it on, its like its not there......

Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:59 AM

All replies

• … that came with the exact same MOBO but it also had the 4x SATA onboard …

I'm sorry, but if one has onboard SATA and one doesn't, they are obviously not the exact same motherboard. It seems pretty likely to me that you are missing drivers, have incorrect drivers installed, or have some sort of hardware incompatibility as a result of the multiple SATA controllers you're now using, so those are where I'd look first, but since I presume you moved everything from the old MB to the new one, you could also have a CPU cooling problem, memory issues, etc..
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi Ken,

The Hdama G came with or without the integrated SATA controller, that is the only difference, I am now not running any other SATA controllers (other than the integrated one) as I mentioned I have reduced the amount of disks that I am now using in this WHS

I am using the same drivers I used with the old board that used to run fine, I have reseated the CPUs (new thernmal paste etc) and they are fine, I have ran memtest too and no issues whatsoever.

I too think that there is an issue with drivers, but I have tried every one independently and there doesnt seem to be a pattern for the lockups??

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Changes in motherboard hardware, controllers, etc. mean that there are guaranteed to be firmware differences. Sometimes they don't matter, sometimes you wind up needing a whole new hardware abstraction layer to work with the new hardware. It's impossible to say for sure at a distance, but I'd bet on motherboard drivers being the issue.

Worth a try: take a disk you don't mind wiping, and the drivers that came with the new motherboard, and do a fresh installation. Don't bother with product activation, you only want it to run for a few days unless you decide later that you want to continue with the new build. Include the three 2 TB disks if you can. (I think they're empty now, right?) Configure one of your clients as a client of the newly built server. See how it runs. If it runs fine, you could conceivably just move on with that configuration. (I would. :) )

If it doesn't run fine, you've got a hardware incompatibility issue, bad MB, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Ken, The 2TB drives all have DATA on

The problem is that sometimes it runs fine for say a day and other times 10 minutes if that (nothing of relevance in event viewer)

Most of the drivers that I am using do not show up in add/remove programs - is that normal?

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:34 AM