one car cause loss of internet connection RRS feed

• Question

• I am on my desk top because I canot stay connected to the internet long enough to find help on my note book. The one care program is corrupted and willnot allow me to stay connected to the internet for much more than 20 minutes the desk top runs an xp system the note book is a new vista program I have been searching for help for the last trwo weeks to try to locate the problem and fix it I am not that PC smart I keep getting lost one care seemfine on xp but vista note book is a night mare

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:41 AM

Answers

• Why do you think OneCare is causing the problem with the connection on your notebook? If OneCare were blocking the Internet connection, it would happen immediately, not after 20 minutes.

Can you describe what *exactly* is happening on the Vista notebook?

What is the condition of OneCare on the notebook? What errors?

I'm moving this thread to the Firewall topic for the time being.

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I purchased this note book new at the end of nov. 2008 I have continually had little problems with it that I just figured was my fault because of me trying to learn this vista program. It took me three weeks to get onto my class . I installed one care on it as soon as I could figure out how to shortly after I got it. .For two weeks before February 10 2008 this note book with vista and one care was a dream . I was able to get caught up in class and do my business work --every thing > I could ask for more. I have had problems withlosing the mouse scrooling functions and have never gotten that cleared up ,but on February we had a severe wind storm here electricty went out several time , was off for about 3 hours, when it came back on the desk top acted up for a second but came on . The notebook started coming on for any where from 15 minutes to about 45 minutes . I learned to just restart it and go from there. Embarq told me last night I have about 17 calls into them for this problem  In dec I bought a new router  a linksys N model . Last week they tought that was the problem so I took it back and got a new G model with speed boost I called embarq and Linksys And they helped me re hook up we have bridged and un bridged the modem We have di a windsock re do we have checked out every thing that is knowned. They had me hook the note book up wired direct to the modem and they thought it was the modem ,so they sent me a new modem I have installed it and srill have the problem .last night they (embarq) had me hook up wired to the modem direct and go on safe mode operation and for the whole (2) hours they had me on safe mode I never lost connection . The same embarq person called me back ,he had talked to an engineer and they said that the one care program program must be corrupted and that I needed nhelp in getting that cleaned up but, that he could not help me with that .He gave three web sites to try to contact you to get help with this. This morning it has went down three times already. (I have lost 2 weeks of class time with it again .)I am at a loss as to what to do any longer . It seems that no one knows anything about vista and onecare together and how to solve my problem. I can not call any body local (they know nothing. I hace been on chat with HP and have not been able to get ant where. I don't know where to turn too. I have one care on my desk top and it did seem to be working fine. ,but I worry that the note book is a fecting the desk top because the desk top is starteing to disconnect  at times ,since this has happened it has un connected about 5 times. For my class I try to send in a report and by the time I get it typed in It has shut down and I can not submit it .I have to try to retype it again. I realize I am not very very smart on this PC stuff but I think we have checked every thing else and this is the only thing that is left. I have read there have been up dates but I don't think I have been able to recieve them. I have had to turn  one care off to down load programs to use for my class and some still don't down load right . Any help you could give would be a blessing I am truly lost as to what to do .

Thank you Harry JR

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hello, Harry. My, that's a list of problems and support calls. :-(

I hate to sound like I'm passing the buck, but I don't think OneCare is the problem at all. Since you are able to connect to the Internet and it works fine, but then you lose your connection, I have to suspect the router, modem, or a hardware problem.

Last night you were in Safe Mode with Networking and wired directly to the mode, but that means you were not connected to the router. I wonder what your experience would be if you were hard wired directly from the laptop to the router and booted normally, not Safe Mode.

The notebook would *not* affect the desktop PC. Both PCs are connecting to the network through the same router and modem, so if there are connectivity issues appearing on the desktop, too, we are looking at a router/modem problem again.

I've got two thoughts...

1. The simple one - I once had a problem with my cable modem dropping the connection every 20 minutes. The problem turned out to be that I had placed my cell phone on my desk within a foot of the modem. Interference from the cell phone was causing the modem to reboot. Check for any possible interference with your modem and router. If they are next to a cordless phone, cell phone, etc, move the potential interference. If the modem and router are adjacent to each other, spread them apart.

2. Since you bought a new Linksys router, check with Linksys for available firmware updates. It may well be that a newer firmware than what was installed at the factory will resolve the problem.

Here's what to try with OneCare, which I am *sure* is not corrupted... Open OneCare, click on Change Settings. On the firewall tab, turn the firewall *off* - this will put OneCare to red "at risk" status, but since you are behind a router, the risk is minimal. Use the Internet. If you lose your connection again, it is not OneCare.

One last thought...when you lose the connection on the laptop, can you go to the desktop ad check if the Internet connection has dropped there, too? If yes, it is most certainly not a OneCare problem and you'll want to be looking at the router, modem, and the lines from your ISP. Is Embarq DSL or cable? They may need to check signal levels as it could be a wiring problem outside of your house.

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Steve ,  OK now I have done all of these checks --turned off the one care -- and after about 20 minutes I still lost connection I also realized  That the note book loses memory in the e-mail along with some other problems that it is causing me. One care is back up and it asked for a new back up so I am doing a full back up on a new dvd , that says it will take over 2 hours. I have decided that the problem is in the note book itself .With all of the test I have been running on it it has to be where the problem is .Linksys had me do a reset on the router and verified that it is up to date. Right now I don't seem to be able to send any e-mail from either PC. I hope this goes through.  The last time I did a reset on the router I lost e-mail...  Any way I need to know how to get my product code from the note book for the one care program that I have installed on it . If they (HP) sends me a new notebook or some how fix's this one I need to be able to down all of my files and programs on to it just in case I lose it. I don't know whereI have all of these numbers . I will need help in finding the product number for the laptop and hope the back up dic\sc has all of the other programs and and information that I will need to download from.

Harry

hrrotzjr@embarqmail.com

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Hello, Harry.

If you are able to get the PC replaced and you are then ready to install OneCare to that PC, you simply activate/subscribe with the LiveID that was used to originally subscribe. Open OneCare on the laptop and click Help/About... The subscription ID is the LiveID to subscribe again - without being charged for a new subscription.

I'm sorry to read that the connection problems happen with OneCare off, as I suspected, and that it looks like it may be a problem on the PC.

Resetting the router should not affect PC at all. If you cannot access your email account, there is either a problem with the ISP or your router since it is affecting both computers.

The OneCare backup will *not* backup programs. So, if you have purchased programs and downloaded the installers to the laptop, you need to copy those to DVD or the desktop over the network and make sure you know the registration keys. OneCare can be reinstalled easily by going to http://onecare.live.com and activating with the LiveID per the above.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:34 AM

All replies

• Why do you think OneCare is causing the problem with the connection on your notebook? If OneCare were blocking the Internet connection, it would happen immediately, not after 20 minutes.

Can you describe what *exactly* is happening on the Vista notebook?

What is the condition of OneCare on the notebook? What errors?

I'm moving this thread to the Firewall topic for the time being.

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I purchased this note book new at the end of nov. 2008 I have continually had little problems with it that I just figured was my fault because of me trying to learn this vista program. It took me three weeks to get onto my class . I installed one care on it as soon as I could figure out how to shortly after I got it. .For two weeks before February 10 2008 this note book with vista and one care was a dream . I was able to get caught up in class and do my business work --every thing > I could ask for more. I have had problems withlosing the mouse scrooling functions and have never gotten that cleared up ,but on February we had a severe wind storm here electricty went out several time , was off for about 3 hours, when it came back on the desk top acted up for a second but came on . The notebook started coming on for any where from 15 minutes to about 45 minutes . I learned to just restart it and go from there. Embarq told me last night I have about 17 calls into them for this problem  In dec I bought a new router  a linksys N model . Last week they tought that was the problem so I took it back and got a new G model with speed boost I called embarq and Linksys And they helped me re hook up we have bridged and un bridged the modem We have di a windsock re do we have checked out every thing that is knowned. They had me hook the note book up wired direct to the modem and they thought it was the modem ,so they sent me a new modem I have installed it and srill have the problem .last night they (embarq) had me hook up wired to the modem direct and go on safe mode operation and for the whole (2) hours they had me on safe mode I never lost connection . The same embarq person called me back ,he had talked to an engineer and they said that the one care program program must be corrupted and that I needed nhelp in getting that cleaned up but, that he could not help me with that .He gave three web sites to try to contact you to get help with this. This morning it has went down three times already. (I have lost 2 weeks of class time with it again .)I am at a loss as to what to do any longer . It seems that no one knows anything about vista and onecare together and how to solve my problem. I can not call any body local (they know nothing. I hace been on chat with HP and have not been able to get ant where. I don't know where to turn too. I have one care on my desk top and it did seem to be working fine. ,but I worry that the note book is a fecting the desk top because the desk top is starteing to disconnect  at times ,since this has happened it has un connected about 5 times. For my class I try to send in a report and by the time I get it typed in It has shut down and I can not submit it .I have to try to retype it again. I realize I am not very very smart on this PC stuff but I think we have checked every thing else and this is the only thing that is left. I have read there have been up dates but I don't think I have been able to recieve them. I have had to turn  one care off to down load programs to use for my class and some still don't down load right . Any help you could give would be a blessing I am truly lost as to what to do .

Thank you Harry JR

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hello, Harry. My, that's a list of problems and support calls. :-(

I hate to sound like I'm passing the buck, but I don't think OneCare is the problem at all. Since you are able to connect to the Internet and it works fine, but then you lose your connection, I have to suspect the router, modem, or a hardware problem.

Last night you were in Safe Mode with Networking and wired directly to the mode, but that means you were not connected to the router. I wonder what your experience would be if you were hard wired directly from the laptop to the router and booted normally, not Safe Mode.

The notebook would *not* affect the desktop PC. Both PCs are connecting to the network through the same router and modem, so if there are connectivity issues appearing on the desktop, too, we are looking at a router/modem problem again.

I've got two thoughts...

1. The simple one - I once had a problem with my cable modem dropping the connection every 20 minutes. The problem turned out to be that I had placed my cell phone on my desk within a foot of the modem. Interference from the cell phone was causing the modem to reboot. Check for any possible interference with your modem and router. If they are next to a cordless phone, cell phone, etc, move the potential interference. If the modem and router are adjacent to each other, spread them apart.

2. Since you bought a new Linksys router, check with Linksys for available firmware updates. It may well be that a newer firmware than what was installed at the factory will resolve the problem.

Here's what to try with OneCare, which I am *sure* is not corrupted... Open OneCare, click on Change Settings. On the firewall tab, turn the firewall *off* - this will put OneCare to red "at risk" status, but since you are behind a router, the risk is minimal. Use the Internet. If you lose your connection again, it is not OneCare.

One last thought...when you lose the connection on the laptop, can you go to the desktop ad check if the Internet connection has dropped there, too? If yes, it is most certainly not a OneCare problem and you'll want to be looking at the router, modem, and the lines from your ISP. Is Embarq DSL or cable? They may need to check signal levels as it could be a wiring problem outside of your house.

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Steve ,  OK now I have done all of these checks --turned off the one care -- and after about 20 minutes I still lost connection I also realized  That the note book loses memory in the e-mail along with some other problems that it is causing me. One care is back up and it asked for a new back up so I am doing a full back up on a new dvd , that says it will take over 2 hours. I have decided that the problem is in the note book itself .With all of the test I have been running on it it has to be where the problem is .Linksys had me do a reset on the router and verified that it is up to date. Right now I don't seem to be able to send any e-mail from either PC. I hope this goes through.  The last time I did a reset on the router I lost e-mail...  Any way I need to know how to get my product code from the note book for the one care program that I have installed on it . If they (HP) sends me a new notebook or some how fix's this one I need to be able to down all of my files and programs on to it just in case I lose it. I don't know whereI have all of these numbers . I will need help in finding the product number for the laptop and hope the back up dic\sc has all of the other programs and and information that I will need to download from.

Harry

hrrotzjr@embarqmail.com

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  

Steve , the e-mail address for the note book is jr1955@live.com, but I don't know if I can recieve it there. I purchased a whole new program from one care before I found out I could add it ti this PC program.

Harry

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hello, Harry.

If you are able to get the PC replaced and you are then ready to install OneCare to that PC, you simply activate/subscribe with the LiveID that was used to originally subscribe. Open OneCare on the laptop and click Help/About... The subscription ID is the LiveID to subscribe again - without being charged for a new subscription.

I'm sorry to read that the connection problems happen with OneCare off, as I suspected, and that it looks like it may be a problem on the PC.

Resetting the router should not affect PC at all. If you cannot access your email account, there is either a problem with the ISP or your router since it is affecting both computers.

The OneCare backup will *not* backup programs. So, if you have purchased programs and downloaded the installers to the laptop, you need to copy those to DVD or the desktop over the network and make sure you know the registration keys. OneCare can be reinstalled easily by going to http://onecare.live.com and activating with the LiveID per the above.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:34 AM