none
Everyone has 5 medals in IE6 RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks Camron. I'll take a look at it in IE6 tomorrow.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:19 AM
  • Thanks for your post! We will attempt to reproduce this issue and log a bug if necessary.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:10 AM
  • cshimy said:

In IE6, everyone seems to have 5 full medals.
    http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/resources/images/ico_medal.png

The medals look okay in FireFox 2 and IE7.

Could be an issue with the img.medal.unacheieved class in Forums.css (line 793). (I wish I could supply a screen shot)

Yes, because the designers chose, once again, to use an unsupported image format (we had the exact same rendering issue with stars in the current version of the forums).

Alpha channels are not supported in IE6. Come on, folks! Follow your own (MSFT's) standards/constraints!

Phil Brammer | http://www.ssistalk.com
    • Edited by Phil Brammer Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:41 PM Added URLs
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:38 PM
  • I took a quick look, and it was just a simple missing IE6 override to remove the png transparency behavior which then allowed the alpha filter to work. It will be included in the next release.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Your avatar should earn you 6 medals, Alicia.

M A Reeds MD PhD
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Too bad Rob's "Answer" doesn't earn him any points on this thread since you can't set a message in "General Discussion" to an "Answer".

Our next release will have the ability for a moderator to change the thread type if a question gets asked in "General Discussion" or vice versa then we can set Rob's post as an "Answer" and he'll get some points.

In fact the developer checked in the code today :-)

Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Friday, February 22, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Sam Jarawan said:

Too bad Rob's "Answer" doesn't earn him any points on this thread since you can't set a message in "General Discussion" to an "Answer".

Our next release will have the ability for a moderator to change the thread type if a question gets asked in "General Discussion" or vice versa then we can set Rob's post as an "Answer" and he'll get some points.

Sam, I wasn't sure if my original post should be a "Ask a Question" or "General Discussion", since I was technically pointing something out. I agree that it should be "Ask a Question" so Rob can get credit.

It seems other users might make the same mistake I did by starting a thead of the wrong type. If this is a common issue, perhaps the usability can be improved or some additional guidence can be added to the site (or perhaps this is a deisgn limitation of using a forum for bug reporting, but it is a good way to get users to use the product).
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Sam Jarawan said:

Too bad Rob's "Answer" doesn't earn him any points on this thread since you can't set a message in "General Discussion" to an "Answer".

What are the points used for?
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Purchase lovely items from the company store...400,000 points and you may qualify for a Zune. :-)
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Anna Ullrich said:

Nothing. They are used for the rating system, to determine who's more "trustworthy," I guess.

Phil Brammer | http://www.ssistalk.com
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Same behavior in IE 8 beta1 (least of my gripes there--the real name is Ie^2.079 ).

BTW, things look great in emulation mode.

M A Reeds MD PhD
    • Edited by mareedsnet Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:58 AM further remark
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Anna Ullrich said:

Points are used to calculate the number of medals displayed. As Phil mentions, it's intended to help users discern credibility of different people on the system.

Incidentally, we calculate points in exactly the same way as the existing MSDN/TN forums (e.g. forums.microsoft.com) and the ASP.NET forums. As we migrate the old forums to the Community Platform in coming months, user points will migrate too.
    Jeff Day, Community Platform GPM
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:55 PM