Can't Restore from old backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP on my Laptop just recently and I'm trying to do a restore of my old OneCare backup, it can see all the old backup jobs but whenever I try to run the restore I get the error message "Restore cannot continue because the external hard disk is no longer available." I've tried copying all of the backup jobs to a new external drive and I get the same message, I also tried copying the backup jobs to a shared network folder and it gives the error message that it can't connect to the backup device, but it does see all the backup jobs. Anyone of any idea how to fix this? Thanks!
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:19 PM

Answers

• How was the backup created originally? Was it centralized backup on the Hub PC and the PC you are restoring was also the Hub? If so, you will probably need to make the restored PC be a hub and then reset the backup plan. You'll need to turn off backup for the PCs in your Circle, then configure backup once again, pointing to the external drive where you current backups reside.
    If it was not a Hub PC, but the backup was made for a single PC to the external drive as connected to the PC after the restore of the OS, try setting up a new backup plan for a small type - financial files, for example. Run the backup, pointing to the drive. Then do a custom restore, selecting to restore from another PC and select the older backup.
    If that also fails, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Note that in the worst case, files can be recovered manually form the .zip files of your backup, but it is a painful process.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:36 AM