Client PC in backup using too much bandwidth RRS feed

• Question

• I just re configured my WHS 2011 about a month ago. I basically went from 2 1TB drives in RAID 0 to 2 2TB WD Green Drives using Stable Bit Drivepool. I set it up the same way it was before the HDD update with 3 clients in all. My PC and my 2 daughters PC's. My PC and my older daughter's PC backed up fine and continue to run well. I never got the initial backup for the third PC yet. The first time it took 3 days and was at 18%. Uninstalled and reinstalled connector with same result. Then thinking the slow PC is wireless (as it was before I upgraded HDD's) I plugged in direct with CAT5 cabel. Again same results and something very interesting. Only her PC does this. It seems to use so much bandwidth in trying to backup that I lose my security camera connectivity which is also connected to my internet. My older daughter says her PC kept slowing and losing connectivity. The minute I stop the backup all returns to normal. This happens direct to router or wireless, does not matter. Could it be her internet settings on the PC? Please help! Thanks. I also have a screen shot of Belarc Advisor if that helps. Lauren-PC is the one hogging the bandwidth.
    • Edited by JACKIETOOLS Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:01 PM
    Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to run chkdsk /r on all the disks in the client to check the results. In additional, you could disable the SMB signing to improve the backup performance. 

How to disable SMB Signing on Windows Servers to improve SMB performance
    http://support.exinda.com/topic/how-to-disable-smb-signing-on-windows-servers-to-improve-smb-performance

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice.

Best Regards,

Mandy 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Thanks. I'll try the check disc but leave the SMB alone. The other 2 clients had no problem with initial and subsequent backups.
    • Edited by JACKIETOOLS Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:12 PM