Is OpenGL free to use? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking around for a while and I cannot really find what i'm looking for. Basically i found out the OpenGL is easier to learn and understand than DirectX. But i mean, is there any difference on them? Will I regret that i pick OpenGL instead of the famous DirectX?

But now for thr important stuff, I've read around about the OpenGL license. I haven't found an answer and on their license page i don't really get what they mean... What i want to know is if I make a game, 2D, 3D, whatever, will I be able to sell it? Or do i need to buy license or something else? I read on their sites and it seems ok, but like I said, I don't really get the licenses..not sure what they mean :/

Thanks in advance!

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi.

OpenGL is free to use for developers. Only venders who make hardware and want to distribute software with it proving that their hardware (such as video cards) are compatible with OpenGL will need to buy a license. During game creation, even though the OpenGL license is free for developers, some of the custom libraries of effects and the designer and graphics tools created by third parties may cost you a bit. When it comes to sell your game, you will likely distribute it with a store, such as Windows Store. They can help you with licensing issues, if any. Note that Windows Store supports using DirectX with C# - Open GL, not so much. Not without a special API.

It's important to identify the platform you are creating the game in. DirectX is only for Windows whereas OpenGL works across multiple platforms.

Check Microsoft's documentation on gaming and graphics using both technologies. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/desktop/ee663279(v=vs.85).aspx

Have you seen the latest implementation of OpenGL for the Web browser? The Canvas object supports it (called WebGL). This allows your game to be supported by many of today's latest platforms. Check out the following pages:

Make sure you are using a web browser that supports WebGL.

BTW - you may want to register and attend this free web event that introduces C++ with Direct X for game developers: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/liveevents/introduction-to-c-directx-game-development

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Monday, November 25, 2013 10:27 PM
    Answerer

All replies