backup credentials RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

I have a NAS disk from Western Digital that currently not supporting Vista,, i.e the hole disk must be shared because it supports not login from Vista. ( It worked just fine running XP)

The problem is that OneCare backup to a NAS disk, requires user and password..... As a concequence the backup is not working. OneCare says that it is unable to connect to NAS disk.

Western DIgital gives no indication on when (or if) VIsta suppor vill be avaible.

//what to do?

//lasse

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:40 PM

All replies

• How do you set the permissions on the device? Is there an interface you can get to? Since the NAS is shared to Vista, can you then create a folder on the disk with Windows Explorer and then set the permissions in Vista to share the folder (Share) with Everyone with full permissions?

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:25 PM
  • What model of NAS are you using?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Hi

I'm using a web interface to create a share on my nas. During the creation process I have the possibity to make the share public or restricted. The later case also requires a that I provide with User and Password information.

One of the problems is that restricted shares do not work with Vista. There is no way to log in to a restricted share (only problem with Vista, works with XP)

Therefore am I using a public share for my backup. I can access the share with explorer, without providing User och Password.

But,,, it seems like OneCare requires User and password when performing backup against a networked unit,, like my Nas. It is not possible to set Credentials to "none"..

I'm using a Western Digital Netcenter

//lasse

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:14 PM
  •  Are you able to access the share through windows explorer and read/write files? If you can then try configuring the backup immediately. OneCare asks for credentials if it could not able to access the share. If username/password set already, you can clear it through change setting->backup->network backup

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:26 AM
  •  Sundar Aravamudhan wrote:

Are you able to access the share through windows explorer and read/write files?

Yes

Sundar Aravamudhan wrote:

If username/password set already, you can clear it through change setting->backup->network backup

This is not possible. There is no way to clear username/password,,, at least not for me  

If I remove the username,,,, the ok button on the dialog is shaded gray,, so I em stuck in the dialog.

//lasse

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:45 PM
  • I would like to restate my question.

Is there a fix avaible for me?  Is not possible to clear the credentials. Will it be in future relases wich will fix this, or is this a lost case. 

(Western digital answered of there will be Vista support for their NAS drive either)

//lasse

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:15 PM
  • No answer from me, but I'll alert Sundar that you've updated the thread.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:24 PM