Windows Home Server 2011 crashes and doesn't respond RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up a small business with their own Windows Home Server 2011 tower server for their network. However sometimes the server stops responding completely not allowing remote access, access to files they need, and the only way to fix it is to turn off the box's power and wait for a reboot that last a few minutes.

I have no idea what's happening and why it happens. It never happens when the business isn't open and using the server overnight.

There is a VPN set up on it with 4 local computers attached to it.

I'm thinking it could be hardware drivers. The only ones I installed myself were for the network card on the motherboard.

The most recent one of these crashes when when I was accessing it this morning remotely through the VPN from my own office before the business was open to check on it. I disconnect from the VPN and half and hour later I get a call from them telling me the server network drive isn't working and I couldn't login in to it remotely.

Googling hasn't helped me much and I don't have a pinpointed cause as to why the server is not responding completely.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:34 AM

Answers

• You've not provided much to go on re: "crashes" i.e. does it BSOD? What does "not responding completely" mean i.e. there's lots of stuff that DOES work? What's in the log files? Is there any (ANY) non-WHS2011 software on it?

Will the hardware successfully do four or five complete passes of Memtest?

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:05 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:17 PM