Removing Hard Drive - stuck RRS feed

• Question

• When I began to remove one of the hard drive, the progress bar stalls and has not moved over the last 24 hours. There was enough room on the other drives so space was not an issue.

"Cancel" button is greyed out, and I can not access any other portions of WHS during the removal process.

What can I do without losing data?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:27 AM

All replies

• Probably your issue indicates that your hard drive is failing. You can try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server. If that doesn't do the trick, then shut your server down, physically remove the drive, and restart. You'll be able to remove the "missing" drive with no problems. To recover any files that were only on that drive (assuming they're all recoverable) you should read this FAQ.

Note: if a drive is failing, data loss is a possibility. If you have any shares with duplication turned off, you might lose files in those shares. Also, if any component of the backup database is on the failing drive, you might lose some or all of your backups. If you disconnect the drive, then remove it, you'll be warned if you'll lose files or backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:23 AM