WHS motherboard crash RRS feed

• Question

• My whs Intel Socket 775 motherboard crashed and I am going to rebuild with a new motherboard with an AMD athlon dual core cpu. From my forum reading it looks as though I will have to do a repair/reinstall of the OS. Anybody else had this particular setup issue? Waiting on the parts to arrive so I can get it rebuilt.

thanks
    Rich
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

• With very much luck you can get the system booting up, even if I doubt it due to the very different architecture. Since the IP address will change, you need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on each client (as you would have to do in case of a server reinstall after applying all patches on the server - if this would be a headless device, you would have to uninstall the Connector software on at least one machine for the initial configuration).
    But what ever you do, the system disk should be the boot disk again and attached to the first port on the new board.
    If the system does not boot and allow you to install the drivers (especially for mass storage controllers other than IDE network!), you will have to perform a server reinstall. This will also only work, if all disks are seen by the setup program. If the disks - better said the SATA-Controllers - are not running in IDE mode, you will have to provide the mass storage drivers two times, the second time is on a floppy drive.
    If you cannot succeed here (the results depend much from the hardware and the drivers, which should be for Windows Server 2003, sometimes also Windows XP drivers work), perform a fresh install to a new or spare disk, while all other drives are disconnected (or use the system disk again after saving all eventually stored data from its DATA volume). Details you find in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:49 PM

All replies

• With very much luck you can get the system booting up, even if I doubt it due to the very different architecture. Since the IP address will change, you need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on each client (as you would have to do in case of a server reinstall after applying all patches on the server - if this would be a headless device, you would have to uninstall the Connector software on at least one machine for the initial configuration).
    But what ever you do, the system disk should be the boot disk again and attached to the first port on the new board.
    If the system does not boot and allow you to install the drivers (especially for mass storage controllers other than IDE network!), you will have to perform a server reinstall. This will also only work, if all disks are seen by the setup program. If the disks - better said the SATA-Controllers - are not running in IDE mode, you will have to provide the mass storage drivers two times, the second time is on a floppy drive.
    If you cannot succeed here (the results depend much from the hardware and the drivers, which should be for Windows Server 2003, sometimes also Windows XP drivers work), perform a fresh install to a new or spare disk, while all other drives are disconnected (or use the system disk again after saving all eventually stored data from its DATA volume). Details you find in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:49 PM
  • 11/30/09 Much appreciated Olaf. Thank you. I will report. Parts came in today. Getting ready to install the Boot/Data drive and DVD drive.

12/01/09 System up and running. Had to boot WHS install DVD from a USB DVD drive. Selected Reinstall. All went well until 82% finishing install.
    Then it says it is missing a file. Can't cut and paste so will have to type the message in verbatim.

Creating Directory D:\shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    ERROR: Failed to copy C:\WHS\WHSconnector.msi to D:\Shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\WHSConnector.msi (0x8007048F)

Could this be due to my NOT attaching all my data drives for the reinstall? Do I need to do that and then do another reinstall?

Thanks for your insight and patience.
    Rich
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:00 AM
  • I just received the exact same error message on a new (re) install.  Details in this posting:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/620c90c5-ca6d-49ff-8eb9-9839c2b01fa6

I haven't had any issues with the PC or drives and as I note in the other post - I couldn't manually copy & paste the file the first time, but could the second (although it was already there - probably from the previous install?).

I can try re-booting again and see if it moves a bit further?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:28 PM