Live One Care-Update-SP3-Computer Crashes RRS feed

• Question

•  

I know this issue is not completely related, but I thought I would start here since the problem originated with Live One Care.  The program prompted me to go to microsoft.com to get software updates.  The first update I was asked to download was Service Pack 3.  I downloaded it.  The computer crashed and I can not get past a blue screen telling me that it is trying to "execute non-executable memory".  I can't start in any mode, it always goes to a blue screen and I have to shut down by depressing the power button.  I have read on several forums, microsoft included, that there is an issue with SP3, but microsoft continues to let people download it.  The computer this happened on is running XP Home.  This computer has all of our family photos and personal finances so it is very important to get it back up and running.  Can anyone help?

By the way, I have looked for my XP CD that came with the computer and I can't find it.  I'm not sure it would even help since I can't get past the blue error screen.

If anyone can help please HELP ME!  This is very frustrating considering it is a known issue.

Regards,

Chris

c.maume@prosure.net

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should head over to the XP Solution Center, on the Top Issues tab:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

I believe that the specific issue you encountered is this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Support for the SP3 Update is available for free from Microsoft, as well. Information about that can be found there, too.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  

I cannot retrieve the updates to this program.  It is to large, takes about 4-5 hours to download.  My computer isp will not stay on long enough to get the information.

Larry Horn

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:00 AM
  • The same exact thing happened to me. I ended up using restore, and lost a lot of valuable info. Now my one care is worthless, because it keeps asking me to install SP3 and I'm afraid to try it again. So my onecare status always stays at (fair), and I don't think I'm receiving any other updates. The bad thing is my one care just renewed and charged me again, and it's worthless. I should have went with something else, like Norton or something. I GUESS I'LL LEARN SOMEDAY.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:48 PM
  • jazzbroncos, I can understand your reluctance in trying again, but go to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

Review the information there and if you need it, support for SP3 is available for free.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Hey jazz,I feel your pain,alot of us do.I also downloaded One Care,computer started locking up,freezing up,couldnt get on the internet,it dumped a bunch of my files.I did a system restore to get the garbage off of my computer,that didnt work,then I tried a factory restore and the garbage One Care still remains.I have a brand new laptop and will now have to pay to get my computer fixed..,THANKS ONE CARE FOR ***!!!!Good luck!Good luck with getting help from Microsoft,thats a wasted effort.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:16 AM
  •  jnwmom wrote:

Hey jazz,I feel your pain,alot of us do.I also downloaded One Care,computer started locking up,freezing up,couldnt get on the internet,it dumped a bunch of my files.I did a system restore to get the garbage off of my computer,that didnt work,then I tried a factory restore and the garbage One Care still remains.I have a brand new laptop and will now have to pay to get my computer fixed..,THANKS ONE CARE FOR ***!!!!Good luck!Good luck with getting help from Microsoft,thats a wasted effort.

If you performed a factory restore, there is no way that anything added prior to the factory restore, including OneCare, would remain on the PC other than what was provided at the factory. You clearly did not successfully perform a factory restore and should contact the manufacturer for help.

If your PC experienced the problems you describe after installing OneCare, it is likely that you did not remove other security prior to installing OneCare and had a conflict.

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:17 PM
  • hi your photos will still be i

n your hard drive ,click start go to my computer highlight right click open ,you then can search files and photos.search it all and the hard drive search will pick out all the icons ect that is on your computer.you then can send them to my documents on the desk top good luck

Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:01 PM