Assign to deactivated user RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a migration process. The data the customer wants to import is from several years back. Some of the activities was assigned people who no longer work there.

So when i'm importing e-mails, i would like to populate "to" or "from" with a user who used to work there.

Or when importing an phone call, i'd like to populate regarding with a user who no longer exist.

Is it possible in any way to keep this data (regarding, from ...) withour buying more licences. I've tested to register the person in Active Directory, create the user in CRM and deactivate the user. But you can't assign records to deactivated users.

Any ideas on how to keep this important data?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:25 PM

Answers

• I think one option could be to let the users be activated for some time,  import the data and then de-activate them. this way all the data remains in the system and you don't have to buy extra lincese.
    • Proposed as answer by Muhammad Ali Khan Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl I Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Yes they will remain for the user. inspite the user is de-activiated.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• I think one option could be to let the users be activated for some time,  import the data and then de-activate them. this way all the data remains in the system and you don't have to buy extra lincese.
    • Proposed as answer by Muhammad Ali Khan Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:38 PM
  • That was my first tought as well. But the process will be slow as this has to do with several users. So you'd have to deactivate for example 20 users, create 20 new ones in AD, create users in crm. Do the import. And do the process over again for the next 20.

Any othe sollutions?

thanks
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:56 PM
  • btw. If i do this process, and deactivate a user which has 100 activities regarding himself. Will the activity still show him as regarding? Or from (in an email).
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Yes they will remain for the user. inspite the user is de-activiated.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:19 PM
  • A customer of mine has the same requirement. They want to import data from a legacy CRM system with records going back for a number of years. The new Microsoft CRM system has 200 users, but they would need to create over 400 temporary user records (first in AD and then in CRM) while the legacy data was imported and then deactivate them all again (first in CRM, then in AD).

Since this is unrealistic and historical data is nice, but it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect, our plan is to replace former employees with a contact record (for activity parties), and with a single dummy user for record Created By values. The former employee's name will be stored in a text field. So the record will say: Created By: Former Employee; Created By Name: Neil Benson.

Hope this helps, Neil
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:49 PM