none
Export Excel data into another database RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a ton of data that I need to copy from excel and transfer into a proprietary database. Unfortunately this proprietary database will only allow you to paste one line at a time. I was wondering if I could perhaps write some script to that I could somehow get to gather the data from one column of excel and then to paste > arrow down > paste > arrow down and so on into the proprietary database. I don't mind doing some reading on this but I was hoping someone could offer some suggestions on where to start for this type of script or if its even possible? Thanks very much. 
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:47 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:48 PM This is not "design and write a custom solution for me" forum
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:59 PM

All replies

• No.  You cannot do this.  You need to use the database drivers from Excel to upload data.

If this is important I recommend that you find a competent consultant to help you with this.

Note that there are really no proprietary databases engines.  All databases are custom to an application.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:04 PM
  • No.  You cannot do this.  You need to use the database drivers from Excel to upload data.

If this is important I recommend that you find a competent consultant to help you with this.

Note that there are really no proprietary databases engines.  All databases are custom to an application.

\_(ツ)_/

Thanks for the reply. I sincerely appreciate your time. Where would I start looking for such a consultant? What are the key words I would start searching?
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:30 PM
  • Your question is outside the scope of this forum. We cannot provide guidance on searching for or choosing consultants.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Search in your region for Windows consulting.  You will find many companies that provide this.  You can also ask the vendor of your application for help.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:12 PM
  • I have a ton of data that I need to copy from excel and transfer into a proprietary database. Unfortunately this proprietary database will only allow you to paste one line at a time. I was wondering if I could perhaps write some script to that I could somehow get to gather the data from one column of excel and then to paste > arrow down > paste > arrow down and so on into the proprietary database. I don't mind doing some reading on this but I was hoping someone could offer some suggestions on where to start for this type of script or if its even possible? Thanks very much. 
    Probably I could help you if you have want
    1) Powershell (Excel to Excel)
    2)SSMS (Excel to Database such as SQL server DB, Access) 
    • Edited by asafgb Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:54 AM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:52 AM