Re-installing XP on Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I usually turn off my computer and switch off the main line when I'm done with it. I have a Dell running Windows XP. I've run through all the checks of genuine and have got all the latest software updates through the update feature etc. etc.

Yesterday while it was shutting down, out of sheer impatience, I turned off the main switch before the shutdown process was completed. I've done it a few times before and had no real problems. This time though it was different. Today I tried to turn on my computer and I got the usual black screen with the microsoft logo, and then saw the blue screen that said Welcome, and thats it.....  The boot process never went further than that. I could move the mouse but after a while the mouse too froze.

By the looks of it I feel I've corrupted the XP install on the hard drive. I do have an XP installer CD and was able to boot from the disk, but then I was taken the to C:\Windows directory and was only able to run a select few commands, i.e. I wasnt able to start the Graphical Interface. Instead I got the DOS prompt. From there I ran the chkdsk and bootcfg commands and everything checked out fine. However still when I tried booting from the hard drive it doesnt go beyond the Welcome screen.

So I feel I might have to re-install the Operating System. My question is, can I get away with just installing the operating system and it NOT destroying my data files ? I would hate very much to loose the data on my hard drive. Are there any other solutions that I could try to get my computer working back as normal apart from an XP re-install ?

Please let me know. Thanks
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies