Backup issue on PC's joined to a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My PC's that are joined to a Windows 2003 domain get the following errors when trying to perform a backup. If I remove the PC from the domain it works just fine. I'm using Windows XP Professional and do not have my Windows Home Server installed in the domain.

The error message on the PC's is "STRINGBUG: The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot. Running chkdsk /f on each of your disks and rebooting the system may resolve the problem".

These PC's in the domain are using PEAP to connect to an 802.11 network, however the PC's I'm trying the backups on do not have wireless cards installed.

Any ideas on where I can start looking? The Volume Shadow Copy service is running and the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service is set to manual but errors out if I try to start manually saying "The MS Software Shadow Copy service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatcally if they have no work to do.

Here's the errors from Event Viewer.

Event ID 12292

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80070005].

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID 770

Backup set 6 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004230F ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004230F): Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004230F
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.IsVolumeSupported(Guid ProviderId, String pwszVolumeName)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:33 AM