can't activate onecare since changing live id RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My  husband bought onecare then changed his ID.  But when I try to activate it wants the old ID.  I put this in but was told I had tried too many times and would have to try again later.  Now it's a week later and I still can't activate. I found a removemachine script on your site, but this fails.  I am stuck.
    Esther
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:42 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure how your original post was overlooked and not answered, so sorry for the delayed reply.

If you have an active subscription, it is under your old LiveID. Subscriptions typically cannot be transferred from one LiveID to another. Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with the old LiveID to see your subscription status. If the LiveID is inactive and you cannot log in, then I'm sorry to say that support is your only alternative. There would be nothing for you to do at you end if the subscription LiveID is no longer available to you.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• I to have the same problem. I installed One Care earlier this year. My hard drive crashed on my laptop about 3 weeks ago. I have re-installed Windows XP and One Care. In April I had to change my ID and password. I went to re-activate One Care and it said I was activated under a different ID. I too tried the removemachine script from their site and it did not work. What can be do to correct this problem?

Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:45 PM
  • tech support only answered my emails once per week with more t hings for me to try.  It's been about a month now, and I give up. I've heard avast is good and it's free.
    Byee
    I try uninstall now.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 12:48 AM
  • I'm not sure how your original post was overlooked and not answered, so sorry for the delayed reply.

If you have an active subscription, it is under your old LiveID. Subscriptions typically cannot be transferred from one LiveID to another. Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with the old LiveID to see your subscription status. If the LiveID is inactive and you cannot log in, then I'm sorry to say that support is your only alternative. There would be nothing for you to do at you end if the subscription LiveID is no longer available to you.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I have an old LiveID that I can not get into. It was used to set up OneCare on this computer. In April I was forced to change my LiveID because I could no longer log in under my old ID and password. So I set up a new Live ID, password and hotmail address.

I still have the email changing my ID in April of this year. I have purchased the software and have received my rebate from MS or Office Max. I cannot sign into billing because I need the old Live ID and password.

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Contact support via email as a trial user, per the instructions in the FAQ, and explain the situation:

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Hi there Stephen,
    thanks for the reply.
    well I changed my liveID and when i tried to activate with the old ID (because the new one wouldn't activate) I got a message eventually that I had tried too many times and to try again later.  well a week later and I was still getting that same message.
    Anyway I didn't get much help from support. I had already tried everything they suggested and those things didin't work.  for example removemachine gave me a failed message.
    So I uninstalled it and installed avast, and all is good now.  In the meantime I told them Iw as uninstalling it and they got a new tech support guy (who happens to have the same surname as the first guy - brothers maybe?) who has offered to help, but I don't know if i really need onecare.
    love esther
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Esther. Sorry that support wasn't able to get things sorted for you. It sounds like the problem is with the LiveID, though, if it is reporting the "too many tries" for login during activation. That does seem strange, though.

-steve

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:17 PM