scan/fax app for ultimate users only? guys, this is not well thought out! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Let me ask you this - what kind of idiotic consumer buys a dedicated printer anymore? As a consumer you are faced with two options:

1. Buy an inkjet for $x
    2. Buy an inkjet for $x+10%, with a flatbed, scanning, (faxing?) and copying built in

So, I come home, plug my all in one wonder box into windows vista, which, being the latest and greatest operating system specially designed for my 'premium' setup, will presumably handle my premium printer happily. But no, instead I'm forced to install third party software by written by people who make hardware, not software, and hence it's 800mb and filled with stuff I don't need.

Is this the clear, confident, connected attitude you want to convey?

When I was in the Vista beta testing program, the thing that most impressed me about Vista was that when I wanted to do something, I could do it with built in tools. Everything save Office functionality was there somewhere. Now unless I spend a ridiculous amount of money (well, ridiculous considering this is all that's missing), I'm forced to use crappy third party software for no apparent reason.

I'm betting there was some notion that home users don't need the fax service built in unless they're real modders - but here's the thing. Almost all home users have printers. Almost all home users in families that have kids or grandkids who need to use those printers and parents/grandparents who dont know how to use their computers. Sure, none of them need the fax functionality, but take away their scanning (in both Windows AND OFFICE 2007) and you'll make them unhappy. Almost all Tablet/UMPC using students (including me) will be using scanners extensively. And how regularly do business users use fax/scan functionality on their PCs? I've honestly never seen it where I work.

I suggest at the very least that Microsoft conduct a study to see how badly they've buggered up here, and if it's as bad as i'm sure it is, i'd like to see them for once admit their mistake and provide us with scanning functionality in either Windows or Office (obviously, preferably windows) ASAP.

Friday, May 4, 2007 11:28 AM

All replies

• Windows:

Uh... have you tried Windows Photo Gallery --> File --> Import from camera or scanner?

I don't think that's a vista ultimate feature.....

Office:

Go to Insert --> ClipArt --> Organize Clips. Then click File --> Add --> From Scanner

Think before you leap... the help system is there for a reason...
    Friday, May 4, 2007 12:58 PM
  • Oh and you are posting in the wrong forum.... I understand you are frustrated, but if you use the right channels, you can get help easier...
    Friday, May 4, 2007 1:00 PM
  • Strongly recommend Vista Home Basic/Premium include fax/scan tools!

A Windows without the fax/scan functionality will result in some weired considerations while users purchase a laptop. It's often to find laptops with fax/modem device but just-pre-installed a vista home edition. Does it mean they have to spend more money to buy that small functions or have to understand they need to update their vista editions?

In fact, the home users need fax/scan functionalities, for example, when they are negotiating their house prices, when they are submitting some receipts to their accounts (for filing their personal taxes), etc.

Monday, May 7, 2007 6:35 PM