TSM view for restores - map homedrives - desktop shortcut - shut down at end of full backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been playing around with WHS for a few days now, and have some suggestions, they may already be out there in the forum, but here is my two cents so far:

- TSM view for backups: i find the idea of bacing up the whole machine very thrilling, also the speed is good, but i see one big shortcoming: it is when you want to restore a certain file: let's say you've got a file that modifies daily, so it wel get backup up every night. Imagine you're running 15 days on whs, then you would have 15 backup sets. So if you want to restore a certain version of the file, you would have to dig through all the backup sets of your machine that exists. Now i'm sure that many of you know Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) from IBM. For those who don't: it's an enterprise scale backup and restore engine. They've got 1 very nice feature i would like to see implemented in the restore window from whs: this would be the active/inactive view. I explain: whenever you want to restore a file with TSM, you simply start the console, from the view menu you select view active/inactive files. You will end up with an explorer like view, a tree pane on the left used to navigate, a folder contents view on the right. Every file or folder has a box in front of it, to allow it to be selected, just like in the windows backup tool. Big advantage of TSM however is that it will show you even files and folders that were no longer present during last backup, and if multiple instances of a file (when it changes daily :-) ) exist, it will simply show you in the file pane 15 copies of the file, but all with a different backup date. Be sure to search google images on 'tsm restore', you will see exactly what i mean. The advantage is you will never have to dig through backup sets again: if you have 15 sets, and you have to find a file / folder that got deleted, you can simply see the inactive file and restore it, with whs you would need to search for the last set manually that contained the file.

- map homedrive: i find it a very good idea to have every user account have its own homedir, but i'm also very sure that most basic home users that might be tempted to buy a whs in the future have never had mapped a homedrive before. I think it might be a good idea to have a user that logs on to his machine with a corresponding whs user to have his homedrive mapped automatically at logon. Perhaps use folder redirection to redirect the my documents to the homedrive on whs? And if you enably offline folder caching automatically with a second little policy the user can even use his homedrive when the whs is unreacheable...

- desktop shortcut to shared folders: i noticed the desktop shortcut that got created when installing the connector software, is called shared folders on server or something like that. I had my hostname of my whs changed, and reinstalled the connector to talk to the whs again. it recreated the shortcut, stating again shared folders on server... wouldn't it be nice, in the future if you let users choose the hostname, that this shortcut reflects the correct hostname?

- shut down at end of backup: i'm not very comfertably with leaving my machines running all night for a simply backup, i would think it to be very nice to have an option in the console of whs, to shut down a machine when no user is logged on to it, when it is just sitting at the ctrl+alt+del screen, this would require the connector tool to run as a service also?

Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:37 AM

All replies

• I agree 100% with the suggestions above. In fact, after a fair bit of time playing with WHS, I think the lack of a reasonable Restore interface where users can search for instances of a file name through all of the backup sets is a show-stopper for me.

I can't imagine how long it would take to locate a particular version of a file with a large number of backup sets.

Jonathan

Sunday, April 29, 2007 5:00 AM