I can't get my xxx.homeserver.com domain back RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hard drive crash so I had to rebuild my WHS.  When I configured my remote access it assigned me the old domain which I released.  How do I get the domain I want back?
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:36 PM

All replies

• When I configured my remote access it assigned me the old domain which I released.  How do I get the domain I want back?

(emphasis added)

You released it, i.e. said "I don't want it any more". This threw it back in the pool. If it's unused, you can get it back by requesting it. If someone else used it in the meantime, it's gone.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:53 PM
  • I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  I was given back the domain I did release.  The domain I want, (which I was using before the re-build) it will not allow me to use any longer.  The domain I was using I never released.  My live account has not changed either.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:03 PM
  • What error do you see when you request the domain you want?

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • The Domain name is not available.

The domain name that you typed is already being used or is not allowed.  Please type a different name.

I'm wondering if I re-release the domain I don't want will it allow me to use the one I do.

Thanks BTW, for getting back to me and trying to help.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Ar you sure you're using the correct Live ID? Is the Live ID used to get the original domain (the one you want to use) still valid? If not (or if it lapsed and you recreated the id), that domain isn't going to be retrievable.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I had a hard drive crash so I had to rebuild my WHS.  When I configured my remote access it assigned me the old domain which I released.  How do I get the domain I want back?

I had to replace a motherboard and everything went fine until I tried to get remote access.  I type in my email address and correct password but it denies access because of invalid password or email address. Also during this time I move from one area to another with a new IP address.  I tried my old email and password but it still will not let me do it.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:19 PM

I had to replace a motherboard and everything went fine until I tried to get remote access.  I type in my email address and correct password but it denies access because of invalid password or email address. Also during this time I move from one area to another with a new IP address.  I tried my old email and password but it still will not let me do it.
    How long since you obtained the vanity URL? Do you use the Live ID associated with it for anything else? If not, and it's been a while (over a year for certain, possibly less) then the Live ID is history, and the vanity URL is irretrievable.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:15 AM