locked
Javascript error on my.live.com RRS feed

  • Question

  • In IE 7 and IE 8 Beta, I get the following JavaScript error every time I launch my.live.com, causing the page to fail to load:

    Webpage Script Errors

    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.0; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
    Timestamp: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:21:23 UTC


    Message: Object doesn't support this action
    Line: 2
    Char: 64529
    Code: 0
    URI: http://stj.live.com/live/2.000.9.056/scripts/core.js

     

    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:28 AM

Answers

  • Following my own hunch that this was an mis-configured add-on problem, I did a Reset (Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset) and this fixed my problem.  However as I mentiond in my previous post, i still think this is not optimal since there obviously is a dependency on some Add-on that is not disclosed anywhere.  Personally, I would just use a the FF code, which works without any IE add-ons, as the code base for IE as well.  Any who, that is the resolution.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:14 PM

All replies

  • Thanks for the report.   Just a few clarification questions to help us pin down the cause:

    1. When did you first start noticing this error?
    2. Where you attempting to perform an action on the page or in a gadget when the script error appears, or is it on initial load?
    3. Did the error occur after adding a new gadget or feed to your page?  If so, what was the URL of the gadget/feed?
    4. Does the error occur on all tabs or only when loading a particular tab?  If only a particular tab, what gadgets/feeds do you have on the tab?
    5. What OS are you using?


    Jason Garza, Program Manager
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:06 PM
    • This has always occured on my Vista laptop using IE 7 or 8
    • I have repro'd this with different live accounts on this same machine
    • This error does not occur on the same machine running FF 3
    • This error does not occur on my laptop running XP SP2 using IE7
    • The error only occurs when I add the Windows Live Mail or Weather gadget to a tab.  It doesn't happen on any other tabs (that just have RSS feeds on them)
    • I am using 32-bit Vista Enterprise SP1

    My guess is this is due to some browser extension or activex control that is required being disabled, however seems like the code should check for this control being enabled (not just installed) and/or there should be a requirement for this somewhere on the site, or you should just not use it since obviously the FF version of the site works just fine without it.

    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Following my own hunch that this was an mis-configured add-on problem, I did a Reset (Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset) and this fixed my problem.  However as I mentiond in my previous post, i still think this is not optimal since there obviously is a dependency on some Add-on that is not disclosed anywhere.  Personally, I would just use a the FF code, which works without any IE add-ons, as the code base for IE as well.  Any who, that is the resolution.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:14 PM