none
Windows 7 Not Genuine - How Many People Have bought from Ebay? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, so I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from Ebay about 4 months ago. I took all the correct precautions I spoke in depth to the seller, and once the packaging arrived I checked it again the Microsoft site to check it was genuine before opening. All seemed fine and then after about 4 months of installation I suddenly get a messaging saying my copy is not genuine and I need to activate it.

Have speaking to Microsoft I find out that it is possible that the copy I have is not genuine and in fact the PID number is part of an MSDN subscription that has now be resold over and over. The probllem as I see it is that Microsoft shoudl have spotted MSDN misuse sooner, after all its not difficult to track the rough location of a pc, and to see if the PID and Key are being abused.

It has taken Microsoft so long to take action that I am now unable to use Ebay and Paypal protection to get a refund, as I am way outside the 45 day period and the only option I have is to pay again for the software.

My problem is simply if Microsoft security was better I would not be left out of pocket, this in my view means that the responsibility for the solution for genuine users is down to Microsoft and all liability is theirs.

So I am wondering how many other people have bought Windows 7 software and have now been told its not genuine?

Thanks everyone, lets hope we can all work together to stop these pirates taking our hard earned cash and stop the sale of this crap on Ebay!!

Sean

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• Folks that peddle software on eBay are individuals.  Why would you risk purchasing software from an individual and not a major trusted company such as the Microsoft Store which has a proven, trustworthy, reliable reputation for selling quality, genuine products? 
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Thousands upon thousands.  These packages are professionally produced in large numbers.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:34 PM
    Answerer
  •  Why would you risk purchasing software

Price, Carey.  Price.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:35 PM
    Answerer