Reinstalling Windows 7 with a new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running out of room on my current hard drive, and want to upgrade to something bigger. I don't want to clone the hard drive or anything like that, just start new with a fresh hard drive, fresh Windows 7. If I produced a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and used the serial number that is on the proof of license sticker on the bottom of my Toshiba laptop, would that work? Will my current product key work? Or would I need to buy a new copy of windows 7?

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:01 AM

Answers

• "box_roller" wrote in message news:6f966734-5cb7-4088-a4af-66a77e76b62b...

I have been running out of room on my current hard drive, and want to upgrade to something bigger. I don't want to clone the hard drive or anything like that, just start new with a fresh hard drive, fresh Windows 7. If I produced a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and used the serial number that is on the proof of license sticker on the bottom of my Toshiba laptop, would that work? Will my current product key work? Or would I need to buy a new copy of windows 7?

If you use the Recovery disks for your computer, they will work, with their own internal Key.
    Your COA sticker Key will work with a Retail Windows 7 disk, or an OEM System Builder disk - but you may have to use telephone activation.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:03 AM