Freeze / Hang problem with Money Deluxe 2005 after opening RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

Earlier this week, I mass accepted a number of unaccepted transactions (360) accumulated over the years in a chequeing account.

Since then, whenever I try to enter a transaction in any account, Money freezes/locks up (52% proc util), and the only way to recover is to kill the msmoney.exe process in Task Manager.

I've let it run in that locked-up state overnight in case it was actually 'doing something'.

Anyone have any ideas where to look for a solution or what to check?

I've done a level 2 repair to a different .mny file and then used that file - no difference in performance with no errors found.

No, I don't have a recent backup :(

Any assistance would be really appreciated!

Mike

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• No recent backup? I am sure that will change if you get things going. You should set up a procedure with which you keep several vintages of backup file.

I would make extra copies of your *.mny and *.mbf files in another place.

Here are some things to try. I see you said you tried the level 2 repair on a different file, but maybe not the problem file. Did you try to make a repaired version of the problem file? If so, what happened?

The problem does not occur until you try to enter  a transaction, right? On your  AccountList page,  does it say TransactionsToRead? If so right-click where it says TransactionsToRead, and then click DeleteStatement.  Exit Money. Start Money again. Try entering a transaction.

If you don't get things going readily, you will probably want do do some sort of QIF export and import. We can discuss things to think about before you start that process.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Thanks for your response Cal.

Let me clarify, No recent backup because I deleted it last night (mistakenly) when I was transferring .mny and .mbf files between PCs.

(I setup MS Money Plus Sunset in a new Win7 VM)

The repair was done to the original problem .mny file - the destination was 'a different file'. As I said, no difference when I accessed the

new repaired file (still freezes/hangs).

I deleted the statement that had TransactionstoRead as you suggested - Money locked up, I killed it with Task Manager and restarted it.

There were no TransactionstoRead. I manually entered a dummy (0.00) transaction and it was accepted. Deleted it manually - OK.

In my original email, I said "Since then, whenever I try to enter a transaction in any account, Money freezes/locks up (52% proc util), and the only way to recover is to kill the msmoney.exe process in Task Manager. "

I should have said - When I try to enter a transaction by entering a Bill Payment in the Bills Summary screen or

whenever I try to enter a transaction in any account.

After just trying to register a bill payment, Money has locked up again.

Mike

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:36 PM
  • What is the payment method selected on the bill you are trying to pay?  Sunset does not do uploads to the bank and therefore does not schedule Epays (or Apays). So, if those payment methods are chosen you will have a problem.  To correct that, use Direct Debit instead.  Also do not put EPay in the number box, leave blank or use eP or any other non-standard entry.
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Thanks,

The payment method for all bills is Direct Debit or Write Cheque.

I've never used EPay or APay, and the version is Money 2005, not Sunset.

Mike

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Try a level 1 repair first. It will removed customized reports however. Remember to keep copies versions of your files. Use different filenames to keep track. At least keep an extra copy or two on other meda ...

Does your Bills operation involve the "Home" page? If so, there could be workaround for that.

Before proceeding further, what version of Money are you using? If you are using Money 2007 or later, there are certain things that can be tried. I am thinking primarily of Remove All Bills...

If you are using Money 2005 or before, it matters whether your Money files are from North America, not? Money Plus Deluxe Sunset would only be for North American files. It may not be a solution, but it has some things that could help.

If you are running Money 2005 and you are in the UK, for example, QIF export+import into a new file may be your best option.

If you are not in North America, I will probably suggest you consider QIF export+import into a new file.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:10 PM
  • I see you are using 2005 and are not in North America. So try the level 1 repair, and when that doesn't fix things, I would make a new file using QIF export+import.

If you want to do the QIF export+import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for any investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

Making a new file this way will lose some info. On the plus side, you will have a very clean file. You can try this process, and you will still have the problem file to access if you like.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Just tried a level 1 repair - no difference - it still hangs when trying to enter a bill as paid.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Home" Page? I don't use any MSN site for any functions.

Version info -  MS Money 2005 Standard Edition - Canada   :   Version # is 14.0.80.1105

I was able to open my existing .mny file with Plus Sunset but was unhappy with the Investment info that was presented.

All the analysis of my investment performance was missing.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Cool.

If you used Money Plus, you could try the RemoveAllBillsData. It is possible that either PocketSense or HleOfxQuotes would add quotes  from servers. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/money/thread/60e14c6f-8a34-4f48-a286-69f9d6a62dfb identifies Portfolio columns that work with Sunset. I don't think that PocketSense does two-currency files well.

This Remove All Bills Data feature was added for people who have experienced their Money file to run excessively slow. Not quite your symptom, but it might be worth considering.

To get some information within the program,
    File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData
    Read the information. Then click cancel.

Before proceeding, make an extra copy or backup of your file
    in case you want to undo something.

The problem will be that if you remove all bills, you will probably
    want to add at least some of your bills back.  This can be done
    manually with the aid of the reports that you print out before
    removing the bills.

A technique that could help simplify re-entering your bills
    afterward would be to go your register and selecting a
    representative instance of your past bill and selecting "Make
    Recurring" (Ctrl+E).  This would be especially helpful if the bill
    is complex, such as involving a split.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Thanks for all your suggestions with my Money 2005 problem - much appreciated.

Money Plus Sunset seems to be functioning with the exception of some issues about my investments.

Bills are there (including recurring).

All the accounts have history of transactions, but a couple of the investment accounts have no quantities - very strange.

Another note - Money Plus Sunset on Win7 runs much slower than Money 2005 Std. on XP.

Regards,

Mike

Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:42 PM
  • I think it is the deal that the virtual machine runs slower. If you install into W7 directly, I expec the speed to be good. It is possible to have Money 2005 and Plus installed on the same computer, but you have to watch carefully during install to keep the older version from being uninstalled.

Try the RemoveAllBills. Keep a copy first of course.

Also, here is a suggestion on setting up the backups:

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:38 PM
  • All good suggestions - thanks!

FYI, the Money 2005 in XP was virtual as well - with 1/2 the memory.

The disappearing quantities in two of my investment accounts was a Portfolio Manager setting:

Portfolio Manager/Change Portfolio Settings/Display/Watch Accounts/Include Values in Totals (needs to be checked)

Thanks again,

Mike

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:03 PM