Windows Vista 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS on a spare box around my house. So far so good. Then I tried to load the client software on a 64-bit Vista laptop I have, that ended my fun. Any plans to release a 64-bit version of the client software for the beta or atleast by release?
    Monday, March 12, 2007 10:58 PM

Answers

•  interscape wrote:
    If you navigate to \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software and change whssetup.dat to whssetup.msi, and then run that MSI, it installs just fine on Vista x64.
    That's true, however if you do this, you still won't get the backup feature to work.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:13 AM

All replies

• I wholeheartedly agree.  I was pretty bummed to find out the connect software doesn't work with Vista 64 after setting up.  Using the 64bit virtual pc will get you further, but will bomb out as well.

Not supporting 64 bit would dampen Vista 64's popularity.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:12 AM
  • As has previously been stated here many times, the WHS team has no plans for a 64 bit connector for V1 of the product. The best we can hope for is a post-RTM beta connector or a V2 connector.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:04 AM
  • If you navigate to \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software and change whssetup.dat to whssetup.msi, and then run that MSI, it installs just fine on Vista x64.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:31 AM
  •  interscape wrote:
    If you navigate to \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software and change whssetup.dat to whssetup.msi, and then run that MSI, it installs just fine on Vista x64.
    That's true, however if you do this, you still won't get the backup feature to work.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:13 AM
  • I'm OK without the backup capability. However, my Home Server Connector Software folder doesn't contain any .dat files. I just have a setup.exe and WHSConnector.msi file (plus a couple of folders). ???

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:17 AM
  • The "whssetup.dat" trick dosn't work on the CTP release.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 6:16 AM
  •  bcampbel wrote:
    As has previously been stated here many times, the WHS team has no plans for a 64 bit connector for V1 of the product.

And if this not change, till 31 may, i will stop using WHS because my Vista RC2 runs out and i will install x64 Final.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 11:47 AM