How do I make a copy of a CRM 4.0 Organization for testing purposes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've read several COPY/MOVE CRM database posts and articles but am still confused about the best way of accomplishing this task if I want to host the organization on the same servers.

Our CRM environment consists two servers. The CRM and SQL server. We are currently using one organization in our Enterprise version of CRM 4.0

I would like to make of copy of the Live Organization. The new CRM TEST organization will live on the same CRM and SQL Server. This TEST organization will be used to test scripts, workflow or whatever I need to test.

I'm aware of the Import organization function on the Deployment Manager, but did not want to do anything before confirming if this is will work and I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to break the existing production environment.

Please help? Thanks.

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:56 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry, I had misunderstood your question.  Yes, it is supported to do it the way that you describe, and this can be a great "poor man's" test environment.  Only caveat is that it is not a true test environment, as if the prod environment server fails, the test environment goes too.

My colleague Will Wilson described how to do this here: http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/07/leveraging-mult.html

it is basically the same process as what I described, except you restore a backup of your prod MSCRM database to the same SQL instance, giving it a different name.  Just like I described, you would use deployment manager and point it to the newly restored database.  You will not mess anything up with your production environment, as long as you point to the test MSCRM database.

One other thing to note, organization imports from deployment manager typically go pretty fast, but for large databases they can take a long time.  I have just had one take over 4 hours.  So you would probably want to set up this environment during off hours, as the import may put some load on the SQL server and potentially disrupt performance on your other environment.

Also, make sure that when you restore the database you give network service update permissions on the restored database.

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:36 AM

All replies

•  

there is a pretty good test harness in www.thecrmbook.com

(disclaimer, i edited and published this, so i would "benefit financially" if you went that route)

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Yes, you would use the deployment manager.  I had the same questions and recently documented the process in a blog post.

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/09/best-practices.html.  You will first need to install CRM in your test environment and have at least one organization in it--I create one and call it blank.

The only thing you need to copy over is your production MSCRM database.  Take a recent backup and restore it to your test environment.   Then using the deployment manager on your test environment, import it in.

when you restore the backup to your test SQL environment, make sure that you go into the security permissions and give Network service Update permissions on the database.

You don't need to worry about moving over anything from the CRM server, just the MSCRM database.  You will not affect anything in your production environment, as your test environment will be pointing to you test SQL instance and the database copy there.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Joel,

Thanks, I understand your explanation of copying the database to an entirely new environment...and I'm sure your explanation is describing the best practice.

But lets say I want to have my CRMTestOrg hosted next to my CRMLiveOrg on the same CRM Server as the Live Org and the database on the same server that hosts my CRMLiveOrg database. We have the enterprise version installed and therefore can create a second Organisation because of multitenancy support in CRM 4.0. And all I really want is this second Organisation to be an exact copy of the CRMLiveOrg but as a second organisation / tenant in my CRM enviroment.

You will probably advise me not to do it this way, I know it is not a best practice but the question is...can this be done without affecting or breaking the CRMLiveOrg organisation? And how would I go about to accomplish this. Is it as simple as creating the second blank / empty organisation called CRMTestOrg and backing up the CRMLiveOrg and restoring it as CRMTestOrg?

Thank you!

JP.

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:10 AM
  • I'm sorry, I had misunderstood your question.  Yes, it is supported to do it the way that you describe, and this can be a great "poor man's" test environment.  Only caveat is that it is not a true test environment, as if the prod environment server fails, the test environment goes too.

My colleague Will Wilson described how to do this here: http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/07/leveraging-mult.html

it is basically the same process as what I described, except you restore a backup of your prod MSCRM database to the same SQL instance, giving it a different name.  Just like I described, you would use deployment manager and point it to the newly restored database.  You will not mess anything up with your production environment, as long as you point to the test MSCRM database.

One other thing to note, organization imports from deployment manager typically go pretty fast, but for large databases they can take a long time.  I have just had one take over 4 hours.  So you would probably want to set up this environment during off hours, as the import may put some load on the SQL server and potentially disrupt performance on your other environment.

Also, make sure that when you restore the database you give network service update permissions on the restored database.

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Joel...I'll try that. Thank you for your prompt reply!

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:49 AM
  • Hi Joel,

I apologize for cutting in this tread, but I have some other problems when using the deployment manager.

I followed the instruction in KB952934 for deployment within the same domain. After over 24 hours (I have about 167 users, 23 of them are no longer with us) ,

the deployment manager finished with an error. About not able to find the new org.

I am wondering if it’s caused by other problems. There were two warnings from the deployment manager before I started the process.

1.     All Users are not mapped. (We have many users who were no longer with us, and therefore their accounts were deleted from AD)

2.     The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deployed.

I am not sure what I need to do to make this work.

The CRM installation in the production is Windows 2003, SQL 2005, CRM 4.0 with rollup 1.

I am trying to deploy it to Windows 2008, SQL 2008 and CRM 4.0 with latest update (automatically downloaded during the installation process.).

Appreciate if you can provide any advices or recommendations.

Thanks,

John

• Proposed as answer by realaravind Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:45 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Hi there,
    We are trying to copy our production environment over to our test/development environments but this is causing us enormous problems.
    The size of the production database is very large and the import organisation process takes 40-60hours to complete and it usually ends with a failure.
    I was wondering if anyone had managed to do a cold copy of the datebases directly and skip the "import organisation" step alltogether. I know this is
    not "supported" by Microsoft but we are in dire straits here. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Sincerely,
    Einar,
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:43 AM
  • I just encountered this issue. the issue might be with the imported org. So Instead of using the default URL, I used something like

http://crm:5555/orguniquename and it worked. I am not sure about why I am not able to setup the imported org as a new org. I will try to keep you posted on this

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:47 AM