I am getting what I think is a random restart without a bluescreen. Any fix, is this something seen before? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server, Power Pack 3. I am getting what appears to be a random restart. In the event log I get the message "The previous system shutdown at 9:12:15 AM on 12/31/2009 was unexpected." The time and date vary. I am not sure the system is blue screening as I have disabled the auto restart on failure and it is still occurring with no bluescreen evident. However, the activity on the system does halt and the system does reboot. There are no events prior to this at all in any of the logs. This is a new install on a new set of hardware. I have found this article and it almost sounds like this but I would assume that there was a patch applied prior to Windows Server 2003, SP2 or WHS Power Pack 3     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916719. Apparently there is a hotfix and I have D/Led it and plan to try it. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this or maybe had an answer.

I have also noticed that in the drive properties in WHS dispay inaccurate informatin for the "data" drive space which the browsers then shows the drive as red. The drive space shows in my case 148 GB available and 593 GB free. I assume that this is because I started with a 150 GB drive and after instalation added a 500 GB drive after I install the OS. Any known fixes for this, or is this possibly part of my previously mentioned problem. I considered this and sort of ruled it out.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:26 PM

All replies

• Did you activate your install? If not please do.

If you did activate you need to find out if it's a BSOD and then get out the BSOD info. If you can attach monitor and keyboard to the system you can:

1. Start, right click "My Computer", Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recover Setting, then disable automatic restart.
    2. On the next crash you should now be able to read the BSOD info from the screen. With this info you can further investigate the problem.

More on BSOD troubleshooting overhere.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:33 AM
  • I am running Windows Home Server, Power Pack 3. I am getting what appears to be a random restart. In the event log I get the message "The previous system shutdown at 9:12:15 AM on 12/31/2009 was unexpected." The time and date vary. I am not sure the system is blue screening as I have disabled the auto restart on failure and it is still occurring with no bluescreen evident. However, the activity on the system does halt and the system does reboot. There are no events prior to this at all in any of the logs. This is a new install on a new set of hardware. I have found this article and it almost sounds like this but I would assume that there was a patch applied prior to Windows Server 2003, SP2 or WHS Power Pack 3     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916719. Apparently there is a hotfix and I have D/Led it and plan to try it. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this or maybe had an answer.

I have also noticed that in the drive properties in WHS dispay inaccurate informatin for the "data" drive space which the browsers then shows the drive as red. The drive space shows in my case 148 GB available and 593 GB free. I assume that this is because I started with a 150 GB drive and after instalation added a 500 GB drive after I install the OS. Any known fixes for this, or is this possibly part of my previously mentioned problem. I considered this and sort of ruled it out.

Brubber already addressed your first question.  As for your second, that is by design.  You can ignore it.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:58 AM
  • I think I'm seeing the same thing. Thread is here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/746da498-0d0b-4b3d-9e41-d465da9fe672

Sadly I'm still seeing the problem, but I hadn't heard about the hotfix you link to. I will give it a try and see if it helps.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Ah... actually I think I'm seeing somethere different - I'm seeing the hang/reboot during backup and I thought that was your situation too, but it's apparently not. Sorry for the false alarm - and good luck.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:12 AM