Standard to Entreprise Edition RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I would like to know if it is easy to migrate from en Standard edition to an Enterprise ?

For exemple for a small company which became bigger or something like that.

thanks

Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Migration from OCS SE to OCS EE can be accomplished in a side by side manner. Installing OCS EE into the same domain as OCS SE and then move the users from the OCS SE pool to the OCS EE pool. Prepartion for this event will require backing up the OCS SE SQL 2005 databases just in case you have to rollback the migration due to an emergency.

If all 3 of your OCS SE servers are in the same domain and located at different locations or AD sites then yes the OCS 2007 SE servers should be able to carry outy intra domain communication between their pools using RPC / MTLS communications. All of the OCS 2007 SE servers will need to be sharing the same PKI infrastructure. The domain users that are homed to the individual OCS SE servers at each location will be able to share OC IM conferencing, A/V conferencing and LM A/V conferencing.

One of the prime considerations here is going to be the network link speed and available bandwidth through the VPN tunnel. Please read our OCS SE deployment docs for more information on bandwidth considerations. Another consideration is remote access for non domain users. External user access to an OC 2007 IM conversation / LM AV conference will have to be addressed through the use of an OCS 2007 Access Edge that will acomodate remote access.

If you need some more information please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• I have not performed this sort of upgrade/migration before but I would imagine it is similar to a beta 2 to Beta 3 or Beta 3 to Public Beta upgrade. Use DBIMPEXP utility to export, uninstall SE, then install EE. And again use DBIMPEXP to import.

Has anyone else done this before?

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Ok thanks.

I have a second question.

For a company with tree locations, is it possible to put a stadard edition in each location ?

I think the answer is yes, but how do the different front stadard eddition server communicate each other ?

In the case where there is user 1 in Paris and user 2 in Lyon, if Lyon and Paris are linked by a vpn.

If user 1 create a meeting, user2's Livemeeting will join front end in Paris by the VPN or its hown front ?

thanks

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Hello,

Migration from OCS SE to OCS EE can be accomplished in a side by side manner. Installing OCS EE into the same domain as OCS SE and then move the users from the OCS SE pool to the OCS EE pool. Prepartion for this event will require backing up the OCS SE SQL 2005 databases just in case you have to rollback the migration due to an emergency.

If all 3 of your OCS SE servers are in the same domain and located at different locations or AD sites then yes the OCS 2007 SE servers should be able to carry outy intra domain communication between their pools using RPC / MTLS communications. All of the OCS 2007 SE servers will need to be sharing the same PKI infrastructure. The domain users that are homed to the individual OCS SE servers at each location will be able to share OC IM conferencing, A/V conferencing and LM A/V conferencing.

One of the prime considerations here is going to be the network link speed and available bandwidth through the VPN tunnel. Please read our OCS SE deployment docs for more information on bandwidth considerations. Another consideration is remote access for non domain users. External user access to an OC 2007 IM conversation / LM AV conference will have to be addressed through the use of an OCS 2007 Access Edge that will acomodate remote access.

If you need some more information please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike Adkins
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:15 PM