WHS 2011 Storage question RRS feed

• Question

• So the server has a 3TB drive inside it, when the OS installed it asked for drivers which I gave and the system built correctly, when the system finally came up fully, I noticed I had a System Partition and a Data Partition (2TB) and according to Disk Manager a large amount of unused space (more than 700gb), I was wondering if I can extend the system volume to be the full 1TB and if so how?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:04 PM

Answers

• So i have a spare 1.5TB drive which i will re-install WHS onto.  However, based on my reading it looks like WHS 2011 will only create 2TB partitions even as data drives, so how do i configure the remaining space or will WHS configure two partitions, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB?
    1. Install on the 1.5 TB drive.
    2. Connect the 3 TB drive.
    3. Optional: Kiss data goodbye.
    4. Open a command prompt.
    5. Use the diskpart command line utility to clean the 3 TB drive. (Consult Technet for diskpart commands).
    6. If you skipped 3, wail piteously and gnash teeth as everything on the disk evaporates.

In theory, the disk will show in the dashboard as unallocated. Choose to use it for server storage (as opposed to server backup), and Windows Home Server will format it and create a 2 TB partition, and an "everything else" partition. Or you can remove all partitions, convert to GPT, and create a single 3 TB partition using diskpart. (There are advantages to letting Windows Home Server handle it, though.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• In order to use more than 2 TB on a drive, the drive must have been partitioned with GPT. You can't do this with your system drive, however, unless your system is UEFI-based, because non-UEFI systems are unable to boot from a GPT disk.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply, but i have to admit, thats a bit over my head, can you dumb it down a little and/or ellobrate?

Also could i in theory create an additional data partition, if so what would be the correct way to do this?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Drives partitioned with an MBR-style partition table can't be more than 2 TB in size. Anything above 2 TB is wasted space. The only "workaround" is to use GPT partitioning, which you can't do for a boot drive unless your system supports booting from a GPT disk, which only UEFI based systems do. Wikipedia has a series of articles that might help you understand all of this a bit better.

Bottom line: you can't use the extra 700-800 GB of space on that drive if you boot from it. Period.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Ok, i think i understand now.  So in order to use the remaining storage i would have to create a new partition and use it for data.

Is there a procedure for this so that WHS recognises it as part of its storage, lets say an e:\ ?  Should i use diskpart from the command line or perhaps there is another tool?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Ok, i think i understand now.  So in order to use the remaining storage i would have to create a new partition and use it for data.

No, it's impossible to create another partition to work around this.

The drive, in order to boot from it, is likely formatted using a Master Boot Record partitioning scheme. This limits you to a total of 2.2 TB (commonly rounded to 2 TB) of usable space on the drive, because of limitations in how data is addressed on the disk in an MBR partition table.

I would recommend using your large disk as a data disk instead of using it as the boot disk. Use a smaller disk (1 TB or so, perhaps; they're cheap these days) as the boot disk.

I highly recommend you spend some time learning about all this; it will be useful if you have issues with your server down the road, and these forums are a very poor place to get an education in system building.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Sorry Ken, i think we misunderstood each other in the last post.  In fact what im saying is my C:\ is currently 180GB and my D:\ is 2TB.  Could i create a E:\ for the remaining 820GB.  If so what is the correct method to do this?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I suggest you read Ken's responses more carefully - the answer is there!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:58 PM
  • From my previous post:

"No, it's impossible to create another partition to work around this."

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:06 PM
  • @Phil,

Yep i see that, my mistake, thanks for pointing that out.

@Ken,

My apologies, i should have read that more carefully

@Everyone

So i have a spare 1.5TB drive which i will re-install WHS onto.  However, based on my reading it looks like WHS 2011 will only create 2TB partitions even as data drives, so how do i configure the remaining space or will WHS configure two partitions, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB?

Regards Adam Jamal (XBOX Lives ONI Assassin) Those who are truly brave will never live in fear
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:12 PM
  • So i have a spare 1.5TB drive which i will re-install WHS onto.  However, based on my reading it looks like WHS 2011 will only create 2TB partitions even as data drives, so how do i configure the remaining space or will WHS configure two partitions, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB?
    1. Install on the 1.5 TB drive.
    2. Connect the 3 TB drive.
    3. Optional: Kiss data goodbye.
    4. Open a command prompt.
    5. Use the diskpart command line utility to clean the 3 TB drive. (Consult Technet for diskpart commands).
    6. If you skipped 3, wail piteously and gnash teeth as everything on the disk evaporates.

In theory, the disk will show in the dashboard as unallocated. Choose to use it for server storage (as opposed to server backup), and Windows Home Server will format it and create a 2 TB partition, and an "everything else" partition. Or you can remove all partitions, convert to GPT, and create a single 3 TB partition using diskpart. (There are advantages to letting Windows Home Server handle it, though.)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I personally had bad luck using a 3TB drive in my WHS computer; the drive seemed to be corrupt so I gave up and went to 2 TB drives. However, if you want to try and your system is UEFI based, then you should be able to go into disk management (right click on My Computer and select Manage, which should launch the Computer Management console. Then select Storage/Disk Management). Find your 3 TB drive and right click on it. You should then see options to "Convert to GPT Disk". If you select this, then you should be able to use the entire drive. I"m not sure what happens to any data currently on the disk so you may want to be prepared to reformat it.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Perfect, exactly what i was looking for.

Thank you very much :)

Regards Adam Jamal (XBOX Lives ONI Assassin) Those who are truly brave will never live in fear
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:42 PM
  • So a small addition, i managed to complete the install on the 3TB disks.  Here are the steps:

1.  Configure raid for the 3TB disks

2.  Install WHS 2011 - It wont pick up the disks by default so make sure you have drivers on a usb key

3.  Once the install is complete you have 2 partitions, c:\ of 180 GB and D:\ of 2TB

4.  Using DOS, run the command diskpart

5.  Select the empty/blank volume and format as a new partition (Careful not to damage existing volumes)

6.  Once done add the disk to the server using Storage Manager

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:14 AM