Change Product Key Won't Work RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to activate Vista Business based on a new product key that was given to my business. When I go to the Contol Panel  to the section titled Windows Activation and press the "Change Product Key" link, nothing happens. No additional box comes up to allow me to put in the new product key. Any ideas........?
    Monday, February 12, 2007 1:48 PM

Answers

• To change Windows Vista product key, use the following steps:
    1. Run Elevated Command Prompt with administrator rights or privileges. To do so, locate Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”. You can also type in “command prompt” in Vista instant search, and right click on Command Prompt shortcut and then select “Runas Administrator” to enable administrator credentials. Answer yes to any UAC confirmation. You can also turn off UAC.
    2. In the command prompt window, type the following command:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

Replace <insert your product key here> with the 25-digit Windows Vista product key.

3. To activate windows after changing the key, run the following command in the command prompt window:

slmgr.vbs -ato

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:34 PM

All replies

• To change Windows Vista product key, use the following steps:
    1. Run Elevated Command Prompt with administrator rights or privileges. To do so, locate Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”. You can also type in “command prompt” in Vista instant search, and right click on Command Prompt shortcut and then select “Runas Administrator” to enable administrator credentials. Answer yes to any UAC confirmation. You can also turn off UAC.
    2. In the command prompt window, type the following command:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

Replace <insert your product key here> with the 25-digit Windows Vista product key.

3. To activate windows after changing the key, run the following command in the command prompt window:

slmgr.vbs -ato

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:34 PM
  •  

i tried the command prompt and it didnt work. it says its in use

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:43 PM