Which disk is which? RRS feed

• Question

• I have three identical drives in my WHS v1 machine. I'm beginning to suspect one of the drives is headed for failure. There have been lots of entries in the event log of the form: "The device, \Device\Scsi\ahcix861, did not respond within the timeout period." When these events happen, the server performance and responsiveness is very poor. So I'm thinking about "removing" it from the Console and then replacing it.

But here are the questions that come from all three drives being identical: how do I determine what drive in the Console Storage tab is \Device\Scsi\ahcix861? And how do I determine what drive in the physical hardware is \Device\Scsi\ahcix861? I've checked all the device Properties|Details for the drives and nothing looks to map to physical things that are obvious (drive s/n, mobo markings, etc). Likewise, in the Console } Storage tab, the only difference is that one drive has the system logo. Which drive is that in the hardware or is it ahcix861? No way to tell. I've poked around a little in the registry and still haven't found a surefire way to eliminate the ambiguity.

Thoughts?

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:36 AM

All replies

• Besides trial and error by unplugging one disk at at time, I'd suggest an add-in, Disk Management.  Can be found here: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/products/whs/diskmanagement  There is a 30 day trial before you need to buy.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:31 AM
  • It's possible to "connect" a disk in the console with the physical hardware, and with the disk in the Disk Management MMC snap-in, but it's a royal pain to do so, because it involves multiple levels of indirection in the registry. Since Windows Home Server V1 is designed for OEM use rather than installation by end users, probably Microsoft felt that this was acceptable, since OEMs are required to have drive health indicators (like the HP drive lights). For folks who "roll their own" this is less than convenient. :P

I agree with the recommendation to install the Disk Management add-in. Once you've installed Disk Management, build a wireframe which shows your disks. Then shut down, disconnect a disk, and see which one is missing in the console. Repeat for the other two disks. Disk Management will let you label your disks so you can tell them apart a little easier.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:57 PM