Unknown cause for duplicate activities - both active and inactive records RRS feed

• Question

• ·         Business Goal: Avoid lost time and energy from deleting unnecessary duplicates

·         Repro Steps: Occurrence is inconsistent and I can't reproduce the problem

·         Expected Results: No automatic creation of duplicate activities

·         Actual Results: Seemingly out of nowhere, a select number of activities were automatically duplicated for a specific user. It has happened to more than one user, including an administrator. It happens for both open and closed activities. It seems to primarily happen with the Phone Call entity.

·         Environment: We have MSCRM 2013 On Premise running on the min req for the new version. Both CRM and SQL are on the same box. The email router is on a separate server that also has Exchange and AD. I'm not aware of any rollups yet available for the new version.

For a little bit of history. I've seen isolated cases of this problem back on CRM v4, but it only happened to one user and it was very sporadic. I never found a root cause. Open phone calls would create one or two duplicates that had part of the data from original phone call. Certain field values were clues. Our custom Type field which is business required was blank.

In the new version of CRM, it has grown progressively worse. It's happening to multiple users and it's now duplicate open and closed activities. On one day, it created a duplicate of 150 phone calls. They all have the same exact created on date and time. It is modified by the owning user. All of the phone call records and open and mysteriously enough, some of the records have an Actual End date value that matches the Actual End of the duplicated phone call activity that had been closed a month ago.

Eric Hula - CRM Administrator

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:39 PM

All replies

• As far as I can tell, CRM is actually taking a copy of closed phone call activities and the resulting copy is now an open phone call activity with all the same values as the closed phone call, including the Actual End Date. Again, this has been happening to multiple users, but the occurrence is very random.

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:12 PM
  • I have some additional info on the problem. In some cases there, there are multiple duplicates of the closed activities but they don't share the exact same Description value even though they were all created simultaneously. It's almost as if it saved a snapshot of the description value on 3/11/14 and then again on 3/13/14 and created two different copies that have the same Actual Start Date and same Actual End Date. I can tell because we have a four day cycle of contact that looks like:

3/13/14 EH
    3/12/14 EH
    3/11/14 EH
    3/10/14 EH

So 

So one copy of the activity would have the following description value:

3/11/14 EH
    3/10/14 EH

But then the other copy would have the following description value:

3/13/14 EH
    3/12/14 EH
    3/11/14 EH
    3/10/14 EH

And on top of it all, I still have the closed phone call with all four contact attempts.

Friday, April 4, 2014 5:31 PM